Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .ftp files
Operating Systems AIX .ftp files Post 302877750 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 3rd of December 2013 09:20:03 AM
Old 12-03-2013
Perhaps neater to remove the cat:-
Code:
ftp -ivn < somefile.ftp > $ftplogfile 2>&1

The flags are:-
  • -n Not prompting (for user credentials, server, etc.)
  • -i disable interactive (i.e. it won't prompt if you mget *)
  • -v verbose output so you can see what's going on
Make sure you have a quit at the end of your somefile.ftp, just to be neat. Some FTP clients may loop waiting for input if you don't explicitly close them.

You can then read the log files back to check that the process has run correctly.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 12-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Added logging
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP files

Hi, I am new to unix and I want to ftp files from unix to windows nt machine. My requirement is like i want to ftp files which are having system date (20050927) in between the filename. Once i get into ftp mode, I am not able to execute the unix command the get the system date and to change it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopskrish
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP of files

Hi all, I had written the following script to transfer the files thru FTP. But it throws me some error after I run the program. I guess its throwing error because of the path. Do help me. Thanks cd /home/psv find . -name '*.ksh' -print > /home/psv/ftpbatch/onefile cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Not able to FTP the files to a FTP server

Hi , We are facing a weird problem in our project. we need to send some xml & audio files to a remote FTP server from a Linux box, we are doing this in Perl script using Net::FTP->. Issue here is.. when FTPed the files using Perl scripts, only empty files ( 0 byte) are getting created on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorepotta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp files

Dear ALL i had a file name called test.log witch contains 300 archives log files. so how can i give the test.log as a input to the ftp script please let me know Thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paddyforum
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files

Hi, I have to transfer the files from one unix box to abnother. Below is the function i have written - file_ftp () { #for inFile in `cat /home/rgupta/list-test.txt` #do inFile=abc.arch.gz FILETYPE=$inFile ftp -in $GATEWAY1 <<! user $USERID1 $PASSWD1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravigupta2u
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP the files

Hi, Currenty I am transfering the files which are in list-test.txt. Below is the code for same - file_ftp () { while read inFile do #inFile=abc.arch.gz FILETYPE=$inFile ftp -in $GATEWAY1 <<! user $USERID1 $PASSWD1 lcd $PICKUPDIR cd $DROPDIR1 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravigupta2u
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting only new files from FTP

iam using mget *.* too get all files in FTP iam checking the FTP Server every day for the new files(there are 100s every day) and iam doing *.* by doing so iam getting the old files also(it overwriting the old files) ...... how can i get only the new files...... from FTP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp files ...

Hi , I am new to shell scripting I was planning to write a script that will FTP files to destination folder..so which approach should I follow the ftp one or sftp one or scp one and which one one of them is most secure and fastest one..? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help creating a script to FTP files to a server and then delete the files that were transfered.

I am trying to FTP files to a Windows server through my Linux machine. I have setup the file transfer with no problems but am having problem deleting those files from the Linux box. My current non-working solution is below. Any ideas, anyone?? :wall: Please be gentle, I'm fairly new to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmalfhs
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies
ftp(4)								   File Formats 							    ftp(4)

NAME
ftp - FTP client configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/ftp DESCRIPTION
Use the ftp file to configure the behavior of the FTP client. Lines that begin with a hash symbol ("# ") are treated as comment lines and are ignored. Behavior Directives The ftp file supports the following behavior directives: FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST=yes | no The ls command of the ftp client sends an NLST to the FTP Server by default. Several non-Solaris clients send LIST instead. In order to make the Solaris ftp client send LIST when the ls command is issued, set FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST to no. The value of FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST is yes by default. If the user sets a value for FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST in the user's environment, this value will override any FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST directive that is specified in /etc/default/ftp. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbipr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Oct 2002 ftp(4)