Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to log all file that has been move,chmod,chown? Post 302876505 by varathaneie on Monday 25th of November 2013 06:15:04 AM
Old 11-25-2013
Quote:
As per my understanding ,since these commands wont give any output, you are getting a zero byte file.

I believe you are looking for some kind of tracking to know what has happened with the files -- audit any changes made on the file.

I am not sure if there is any command that let us do this audit trail, but on googling i found the below link, may be you can take a look to get some idea,

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...to-a-file.html

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to untar then chown, and chmod

I'm changing (trying to anyway) a script that will need to unrar a file, this file will create a directory with files in it. Then I need to change the owner ship and permission on that directory. Finally, I will rsync the directory to another machine. This is what I have so far. #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walkerl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use a file to chmod

Hi! I need help becouse I've server to backup and I've a lot of files with 700 permission and I need to change the mode to 755 before copy So the point is. With find . -perm 700 -exec echo {} > textfile.txt \; I got a text file with 3156 line which one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod of remote file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. umask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission by chmod

Hi, I have a typical problem. Consider the scenario: Folder1 ------> Folder2 ------> File1 ------> Folder3 Above is my folder structure, currently the user group "other" has no permissions. I wish to give "read" permission for "others" to File1 using a single command. chmod -R... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: <file>: Not owner on Solaris 9

Hi, on a Solaris 5.9 machine no user except for root is able to use chown. for exmaple: > touch iamgal > ls -la iamgal -rw-r--r-- 1 galtest1 other 0 Dec 19 08:40 iamgal > chown galu iamgal chown: iamgal: Not owner I have checked about /etc/system and rstchown - it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding a directory with chown, chmod

does anyone know how to exclude a directory with chown or chmod? im trying to do something like this chown $username:$username $directory/* chown $username:$username $directory/.* chown $username:$username $directory and find $directory/* -type f -exec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod working in sudo run script but chown isn't

My git user has permission in sudoers to run a wrapper script to move files into my webroot. Everything is working fine except for the chown line. After the script has run, the files ar still root:root instead of apache:apache. Scratching my head...:confused: #!/bin/sh echo echo "****... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
4 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. The following options are available: -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and doesn't query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed). -h If the file is a symbolic link, the group ID of the link itself is changed rather than the file that is pointed to. -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. Use -h to change the group ID of a symbolic link. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as the group is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. DIAGNOSTICS
The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
In previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have groups. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. FILES
/etc/group group ID file SEE ALSO
chown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD