Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 100 interesting shell scripting problems Post 302875377 by wisecracker on Tuesday 19th of November 2013 10:47:34 AM
Old 11-19-2013
Hi nickednamed...

It really depends on what one considers as interesting.

One man's interesting is another man's dull.

I will certainly keep a keen eye on this thread however in case it develops further.

BTW I am a learner too...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting file permission problems...

Hello all - I have two systems. 1) Linux box running Redhat 8.0 2) Tru64 box running V4.0f From the Linux box I am remotely mounting a directory (nfs mount) that resides on the Tru64 machine. The directory that is nfs mounted contains two subdirectories: my_dir1 my_dir2 I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heron
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problems

Hello, Im trying to write a script where it will only execute on a certain day. What would the script look like? if then do this is this correct?? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewisoco
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting on unix/mysql problems

Hi, I have written a shell script for oracle on unix that does a df for specific files, and then will display the size, Avail, % used and the difference from yesterday to today. I have been asked to place it on some MySql databases that run onn unix and linux also, but when I try to run them I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cat55
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner bash scripting - a few problems

Hey Guys, I am creating a bash script on my freeBSD box, the script should basically ask the user to enter a username and domain. The script will take this information and basically append alot of information to config files so the user can receive email from that domain and create a web site at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traxy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problems - Commands not on local machine

Hello all- I have done a lot of searching tonight, but all leads seem to be dead ends. Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've searched the forum and the internet. I am having trouble building a shell script which uses SSH to login to our schools 1024 cluster grid. The issue that I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sagan
1 Replies

7. Programming

shell scripting problems involving operations with remote machine

Hi, i have been developing a shell script to transfer a set of files from one ubuntu system to another. Task: while executing the script the files ( ls, dir, cat) in the source machine should transfer to destination machine(at /home/mac/mac/bin) While the script is executed once again, It... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting problems

Hi, In my unix server, i received a file in /usr/data/xmit location. i want to write a unix script after file reached. So how can i write a one line code which chceks the presence of the file? and second line line should take the status of the prevous line. like below. Line 1: checks for the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with scripting

Hi, I am new to scripting.I had one problem infront of me.I tried in many ways with minimal knowledge........Kindly help me. Description: I want a shell script where it has to read an input.txt file and need to remove duplicate lines and the result need to kept in output.txt file. input... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Code commenting Problems in shell scripting

Hi Friends, I Want to comment one line of code from below code. DBA_ORACLE_USER=`DB.sh -u -a User` DBA_ORACLE_PWORD=`DB.sh -p -a User` sqlplus /nolog <<-END > ${logfile} 2>&1 WHENEVER OSERROR EXIT 9 WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE connect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as234301
3 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)                                              General Commands Manual                                             CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)