Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to retry FTP commands if unsuccessful and capture the failure status code. Post 302873487 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 08:29:35 AM
Old 11-12-2013
As you are using the -v flag, you should get useful output in your log file. Have a follow up step that reads it an d looks for errors, typically preceded with a three digit code of 400 or above.

Code:
egrep "^[4-9][0-9][0-9] " ${EDI_LOG_DIR}/${FTP_LOG_FILE} | grep -v bytes transferred

I have added the grep -v as it is possbile that you will be sendind 400 to 999 bytes and this will be seen as an error.

I hope that this helps.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retry process in ftp

hi #!/bin/bash SERVER=10.89.40.35 USER=xyz PASSWD=xyz ftp -in $SERVER<<EOF user $USER $PASSWD mkdir PPL cd /path of remote dir lcd /path of local dir hash bin put <file name> bye <<EOF The above ftp script i have to schedule in crontab at a particular instance of time run daily.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie250
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture ftp return code..PLZ HELP

Hi all, i have written a code to ftp a file from one server to other.The ftp is happeneing successfully,but i am not able to capture the return code,to check if ftp has failed. plz help me to find out the return code....this is urgent below is the code i have written... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture status code and echo a message

Im trying to execute application and its return code is below IF Status code=o echo "........" else Staus Code =-2 DJRE then echo "......" Can any one help me how to handle the status code and echo some message. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list the Autosys jobs thats in failure status using Shell Script

hello There, I am pretty much new to Shell Scripting and also to AutoSys. I would like to know how to list the Autosys jobs in FA status using shell scripting. I would like to get an email alert as and when any Autosys job fails. Also, it should give the path of the Log file. Could you please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: supragna
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list the Autosys jobs thats in failure status using Shell Script

Hello There, I am pretty much new to Shell Scripting and also to AutoSys. I would like to know how to list the Autosys jobs in FA status using shell scripting. I would like to get an email alert as and when any Autosys job fails. Also, it should give the path of the Log file. Could you please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supragna
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get successful/unsuccessful FTP logs in UNIX

Hi, We have one UNIX Server (Sun Solaris), and the files coming to this server from another server. The problem is, that server is continously sending files to our server via FTP. But the observation is that some files missing in our Server but in that server it shows the files FTPed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash.rastogi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retry upon FTP failure

I am using the following code in a C Shell script to transfer files to a remote server: ftp -n logxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx.com <<DO_FTP1 quote user $user_name quote pass $password ascii put $js_file_name bin put $FinalZipFile quit DO_FTP1 This code works great except on those rare occasions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture 3 digit return code of ftp??

is it possible to capture the 3 digit return code of ftp commands in a local variable inside a shell script? Code: ftp remoteserver << EOFTP quote USER uid quote PASS pass prompt cd remote_directory mput file.txt bye EOFTP in the above script, if cd ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP commands to check the file status

Hi Experts, Can some one let me know the FTP commands to check the file status i.e i want to check whether my files are locked or in open status. I am connecting FTP from local machine. Regards, Spidy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spidy
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies
ncftpls(1)						      General Commands Manual							ncftpls(1)

NAME
ncftpls - Internet file transfer program for scripts SYNOPSIS
ncftpls [options] ftp://url.style/host/path/name/ OPTIONS
Command line flags: -1 Most basic format, one item per line. -l Long list format. -R Long list format, recurse subdirectories. Equivalent to "-x -lR". -x -XX Additional ls flags to pass on to the server. -u XX Use username XX instead of anonymous. -p XX Use password XX with the username. -P XX Use port number XX instead of the default FTP service port (21). -d XX Use the file XX for debug logging. -t XX Timeout after XX seconds. -E Use regular (PORT) data connections. -F Use passive (PASV) data connections. The default is to use passive, but to fallback to regular if the passive connection fails or times out. -r XX Redial a maximum of XX times until connected to the remote FTP server. -W XX Send raw FTP command XX after logging in. -X XX Send raw FTP command XX after each file transferred. -Y XX Send raw FTP command XX before logging out. The -W, -X, and -Y options are useful for advanced users who need to tweak behavior on some servers. For example, users accessing mainframes might need to send some special SITE commands to set blocksize and record format information. For these options, you can use them multiple times each if you need to send multiple commands. For the -X option, you can use the cookie %s to expand into the name of the file that was transferred. DESCRIPTION
The purpose of ncftpls is to do remote directory listings using the File Transfer Protocol without entering an interactive shell. This lets you write shell scripts or other unattended processes that can do FTP. The default behavior is to print the directory listing in columnized format (i.e. ls -CF), but that is not very useful for scripting. This example uses the -1 flag, to print one file per line: $ ncftpls -1 ftp://ftp.ncftp.com/pub/ncftp/ You can also do a remote "ls -l", by using "ncftpls -l". If you want to try other flags, you have to use them with the -x flag. For exam- ple, if you wanted to do a remote "ls -lrt", you could do this: $ ncftpls -x "-lrt" ftp://ftp.ncftp.com/pub/ncftp/ By default the program tries to open the remote host and login anonymously, but you can specify a username and password information like you can with ncftpget or ncftpput. DIAGNOSTICS
ncftpls returns the following exit values: 0 Success. 1 Could not connect to remote host. 2 Could not connect to remote host - timed out. 3 Transfer failed. 4 Transfer failed - timed out. 5 Directory change failed. 6 Directory change failed - timed out. 7 Malformed URL. 8 Usage error. 9 Error in login configuration file. 10 Library initialization failed. 11 Session initialization failed. AUTHOR
Mike Gleason, NcFTP Software (mgleason@ncftp.com). SEE ALSO
ncftpput(1), ncftpget(1), ncftp(1), ftp(1), rcp(1), tftp(1). LibNcFTP (http://www.ncftp.com/libncftp/). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWncftp | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for ncftp is available on http://opensolaris.org. Software NcFTP ncftpls(1)