Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep to remove non-ASCII characters Post 302872745 by owwow14 on Saturday 9th of November 2013 04:26:22 PM
Old 11-09-2013
I have tried that option too -- and it doesn't seem to remove anything... just reprints out the entire input file...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stupid question about ascii characters

i know it's out there, but I cannot remember how to check if a given ascii character string contains all digits or not ... any ideas? ie...function("123") --> OK function("NOT_A_NUMBER") --> returns error thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multibyte characters to ASCII

Hello, Is there any UNIX utility/command/executable that will convert mutlibyte characters to standard single byte ASCII characters in a given file? and Is there any UNIX utility/command/executable that will recognize multibyte characters in a given file name? The typical multibyte... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ... @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or sed. How to remove certain characters

Here is my problem. I have a list of phone numbers that I want to use only the last 4 digits as PINs for something I am working on. I have all the numbers in a file but now I want to be removed all items EXCEPT the last 4 digits. I have seen sed commands and some grep commands but I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sucio
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing these non-ASCII characters from a file

Hi, I have many text files which contain some non-ASCII characters. I attach the screenshots of one of the files for people to have a look at. The issue is even after issuing the non-ASCII removal commands one of the characters does not go away. The character that goes away is the black one with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to remove and add specified characters

I have the following type of 2 column file: motility - role - supplementation - age b ancestry b purity b recommendation b serenity b unease b carving f expansion f I would like to print only certain sections of the file depending on the value of the second column. For instance,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Lower ASCII characters.

Hi, I'm writing a BBS telnet program. I'm having issues with it not displaying lower ASCII characters. For example, instead of displaying the "smiley face" character (Ctrl-B), it displays ^B. Is this because i'm using Ncurses? If so, is there any way around this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
3 Replies
VIS(3)							   BSD Library Functions Manual 						    VIS(3)

NAME
vis -- visually encode characters LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <vis.h> char * vis(char *dst, int c, int flag, int nextc); int strvis(char *dst, const char *src, int flag); int strvisx(char *dst, const char *src, size_t len, int flag); DESCRIPTION
The vis() function copies into dst a string which represents the character c. If c needs no encoding, it is copied in unaltered. The string is null terminated, and a pointer to the end of the string is returned. The maximum length of any encoding is four characters (not including the trailing NUL); thus, when encoding a set of characters into a buffer, the size of the buffer should be four times the number of charac- ters encoded, plus one for the trailing NUL. The flag argument is used for altering the default range of characters considered for encoding and for altering the visual representation. The additional character, nextc, is only used when selecting the VIS_CSTYLE encoding format (explained below). The strvis() and strvisx() functions copy into dst a visual representation of the string src. The strvis() function encodes characters from src up to the first NUL. The strvisx() function encodes exactly len characters from src (this is useful for encoding a block of data that may contain NUL's). Both forms NUL terminate dst. The size of dst must be four times the number of characters encoded from src (plus one for the NUL). Both forms return the number of characters in dst (not including the trailing NUL). The encoding is a unique, invertible representation composed entirely of graphic characters; it can be decoded back into the original form using the unvis(3) or strunvis(3) functions. There are two parameters that can be controlled: the range of characters that are encoded, and the type of representation used. By default, all non-graphic characters except space, tab, and newline are encoded. (See isgraph(3).) The following flags alter this: VIS_GLOB Also encode magic characters ('*', '?', '[' and '#') recognized by glob(3). VIS_SP Also encode space. VIS_TAB Also encode tab. VIS_NL Also encode newline. VIS_WHITE Synonym for VIS_SP | VIS_TAB | VIS_NL. VIS_SAFE Only encode "unsafe" characters. Unsafe means control characters which may cause common terminals to perform unexpected func- tions. Currently this form allows space, tab, newline, backspace, bell, and return - in addition to all graphic characters - unencoded. There are four forms of encoding. Most forms use the backslash character '' to introduce a special sequence; two backslashes are used to represent a real backslash. These are the visual formats: (default) Use an 'M' to represent meta characters (characters with the 8th bit set), and use caret '^' to represent control characters see (iscntrl(3)). The following formats are used: ^C Represents the control character 'C'. Spans characters '00' through '37', and '177' (as '^?'). M-C Represents character 'C' with the 8th bit set. Spans characters '241' through '376'. M^C Represents control character 'C' with the 8th bit set. Spans characters '200' through '237', and '377' (as 'M^?'). 40 Represents ASCII space. 240 Represents Meta-space. VIS_CSTYLE Use C-style backslash sequences to represent standard non-printable characters. The following sequences are used to represent the indicated characters: a BEL (007)  BS (010) f NP (014) NL (012) CR (015) s SP (040) HT (011) v VT (013) NUL (000) When using this format, the nextc argument is looked at to determine if a NUL character can be encoded as '' instead of '00'. If nextc is an octal digit, the latter representation is used to avoid ambiguity. VIS_HTTPSTYLE Use URI encoding as described in RFC 1808. The form is '%dd' where d represents a hexadecimal digit. VIS_OCTAL Use a three digit octal sequence. The form is 'ddd' where d represents an octal digit. There is one additional flag, VIS_NOSLASH, which inhibits the doubling of backslashes and the backslash before the default format (that is, control characters are represented by '^C' and meta characters as 'M-C'). With this flag set, the encoding is ambiguous and non-invertible. SEE ALSO
unvis(1), unvis(3) R. Fielding, Relative Uniform Resource Locators, RFC1808. HISTORY
These functions first appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The vis family of functions do not recognize multibyte characters, and thus may consider them to be non-printable when they are in fact printable (and vice versa.) BSD
April 9, 2006 BSD