Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing fonts with Acroread
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Changing fonts with Acroread Post 302872485 by Don Cragun on Friday 8th of November 2013 12:27:44 PM
Old 11-08-2013
Some PDF files contains definitions for all of the fonts included in the file; some don't and assume that the fonts used in the PDF file will be available on the system where the file is used. If the PDF file you have does not contain definitions for all of the fonts it is using and some of those fonts are not available on the Solaris box you're using to print the file, acroread will try to pick a similar font. Sometimes that produces output that look like the original file, sometimes it produces distorted text.

When fonts are unavailable, acroread usually pops up a window when opening that PDF file saying that one or more fonts weren't found and it lets you select a replacement for each missing font. If your version of acroread isn't doing that, you might check the Adobe website to see if a newer version of acroread is available for your system.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fonts?

NEWBIE HERE...by default, where are the font files located (ttf's) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geek01
1 Replies

2. Linux

acroread command giving error

Hi, When I run the command acroread it is giving error ERROR: Cannot find installation directory. When I look at /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/ an exicutable file named acroread is there. When i run ./acroread from that directory it is working . What can i do so that I can give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Fonts on SunOS 5.6

I work in a SunOS server. I want to check which is the default font. Actually I need to check which font is using right now in Terminal and how to change it. Please help me suggesting the command set ---------- Post updated 08-23-09 at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-22-09 at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting secured pdf files to pdf using acroread

Does anybody have idea of Converting secured pdf files to pdf using acroread ? ---------- Post updated at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:44 PM ---------- This file is not password protected. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
4 Replies
XTOTROFF(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XTOTROFF(1)

NAME
xtotroff - convert X font metrics into GNU troff font metrics SYNOPSIS
xtotroff [ -rresolution ] [ -spoint-size ] [ -v ] FontMap It is possible to have whitespace between a command line option and its parameter. DESCRIPTION
xtotroff takes a FontMap, which maps groff fonts to X11 fonts, creates GNU troff metric files for all fonts listed. Each line in FontMap consists of GNU troff font name and an X font name (XLFD) pattern, separated by whitespace. Example: TB -adobe-times-bold-r-normal--*-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1 The wildcards in the patterns are filled with the arguments to the -r and -s switches. If a font name is still ambiguous, xtotroff aborts. OPTIONS
-rresolution Set the resolution for all font patterns in FontMap. The value is used for both the horizontal and vertical resolution. If not specified, a resolution of 75dpi is assumed. -spoint-size Set the point size for all font patterns in FontMap. If not specified, a size of 10pt is assumed. -v Print the version number. BUGS
The only supported font encodings are `iso8859-1' and `adobe-fontspecific'. SEE ALSO
gxditview(1) Groff Version 1.21 31 December 2010 XTOTROFF(1)