Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines Post 302871895 by RasB15 on Thursday 7th of November 2013 07:48:44 AM
Old 11-07-2013
Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello,

I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from Col4:-

File1:
Code:
+-----------------------+-----------+
| Col1 | Col2 |
+-----------------------+-----------+
| Field1 | 20951 |
| Field2 | 65327 |
| Field3 | 89256 |
| Field4 | 56292 |
+----------------------+-----------+

Rows = 4

Code:
File 2
+-----------------------+----------+
| Col3 | Col4 |
+-----------------------+----------+
| Field3 | 89256 |
| Field5 | 58754 |
| Field4 | 56101 |
| Field6 | 4578 |
| Field2 | 65301 |
+----------------------+-----------+

Rows = 5

Output:
Field1
Field2

Field1 is not there in File2. Filed2 has a different count against it.

I tried using comm for this but it won't work as after sorting File2 still won't match the Fields line by line or won't consider the counts. Another restriction is I have to compare them in shell only.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by joeyg; 11-07-2013 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Please wrap data and commands/scripts inside CodeTags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed search lines in file1 matching columns in file2

Hi All, as you can see I'm pretty new to this board. :D I'm struggling around with small script to search a few fields in another file. Basically I have file1 looking like this: 15:38:28 sz:10001 pr:14.16 15:38:28 sz:10002 pr:18.41 15:38:29 sz:10003 pr:19.28 15:38:30 sz:10004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: floripoint
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple fields in file1 to file2 and print line and next line

Hello, I have two files that I need to compare and print out the line from file2 that has the first 6 fields matching the first 6 fields in file1. Complicating this are the following restrictions 1. file1 is only a few thousand lines at most and file2 is greater than 2 million 2. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillesc_mac
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

print contents of file2 for matching pattern in file1 - AWK

File1 row is same as column 2 in file 2. Also file 2 will either start with A, B or C. And 3rd column in file 2 is always F2. When column 2 of file 2 matches file1 column, print all those rows into a separate file. Here is an example. file 1: 100 103 104 108 file 2: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines above matching line with content from matching

Hi, I have text file: Name: xyz Gender: M Address: "120_B_C; ksilskdj; lsudlfw" Zip: 20392 Name: KLM Gender: F Address: "65_D_F; wnmlsi;lsuod;,...." Zip:90233I want to insert 2 new lines before the 'Address: ' line deriving value from this Address line value The Address value in quotes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching & replacing of content in file1 with file2

I have file 1 & file 2 with content mentioned below. I want to get the output as shown in file3. Requirement: check the content of column 1 & column 2, if value of column 1 in file1 matches with first column of file2 then remaining columns(2&3) of file2 should get replaced, also if value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on column in file1, find match in file2 and print matching lines

file1: file2: I need to find matches for any lines in file1 that appear in file2. Desired output is '>' plus the file1 term, followed by the line after the match in file2 (so the title is a little misleading): This is honestly beyond what I can do without spending the whole night on it, so I'm... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing first field of file2 with the second filed of file1 for matching cases

Dear All, Need your help..:D I am not regular on shell scripts..:( I have 2 files.. Content of file1 cellRef 4};"4038_2_MTNL_KALAMBOLI" cellRef 1020};"4112_3_RAINBOW_BLDG" cellRef 134};"4049_2_TATA_HOSPITAL" cellRef 1003};"4242_3_HITESH_CONSTRUCTION" cellRef... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
h5diff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 h5diff(1)

NAME
h5diff - Compares two HDF5 files and reports the differences. SYNOPSIS
h5diff file1 file2 [OPTIONS] [object1 [object2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
h5diff is a command line tool that compares two HDF5 files, file1 and file2, and reports the differences between them. Optionally, h5diff will compare two objects within these files. If only one object, object1, is specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object1 in file2. In two objects, object1 and object2, are specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object2 in file2. These objects must be HDF5 datasets. object1 and object2 must be expressed as absolute paths from the respective file's root group. Additional information, with several sample cases, can be found in the document H5diff Examples. OPTIONS
file1 file2 The HDF5 files to be compared. -h Print all differences. -r Print only the names of objects that differ; do not print the differences. These objects may be HDF5 datasets, groups, or named datatypes. -n count Print difference up to count differences, then stop. count must be a positive integer. -d delta Print only differences that are greater than the limit delta. delta must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference of two corresponding values is greater than delta (e.g., |a-b| > delta, where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). -p relative Print only differences that are greater than a relative error. relative must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference 1 and the ratio of two corresponding values is greater than relative (e.g., |1-(b/a)| > relative where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). object1 object2 Specific object(s) within the files to be compared. EXAMPLES
The following h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the object /a/c in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b /a/c This h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the same object in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b And this h5diff call compares all objects in both files: h5diff file1 file2 SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5repart(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1) h5diff(1)