Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Python Reading Individual files and Regex through them Post 302871225 by metallica1973 on Tuesday 5th of November 2013 05:06:19 PM
Old 11-05-2013
Many thanks for the reply. Can you show me an example?

Quote:
Why add the filenames to a list? Why not just use the filenames, when you get them?
I was trying to get fancy and as you can see, I dug myself into a hole Smilie

Maybe something like this:
Code:
import os, re

def list_files()
 ips = []
 for subdir, dirs, files in os.walk('var/www/html/data/customer/log'):
    for file in files:
        f=open(file, 'r')
        lines=f.readlines()
        regexp = re.findall(r"(?<=\:\ )\d{1,3}.\d{1,3}.\d{1,3}.\d{1,3}",file)
        f.close()
        ips.append(file)
 return ips

Last edited by metallica1973; 11-06-2013 at 06:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create individual tgz files from a set of files

Hello I have a ton of files in a directory of the format app.log.2008-04-04 I'd like to run a command that would archive each of these files as app.log.2008-04-04.tgz I tried a few combinations of find with xargs etc but no luck. Thanks Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Reading XML files in Python: Urgent

OK so my objective is to create a python program that will parse an XML file(input.xml), then the program will create an mxml(output.mxml) file. In the program (.py) i need to read between CDATA so that I would get an output the CDATA code in the input.xml INPUT.XML <!]> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfivesixfive
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Regex

I have the below string and regex. However I cant understand why it works the way it does. IP has been changed for safety ;) String = NowSMS Error Report. Error initializing SMSC Interface 'SMPP - 10.15.8.10:17600'. Interface is not available. Regex = (.+\.)\s(.+) I get two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barney34
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find regex, place on individual lines and insert blank line before

Hello, I have a file that I want to be able to insert a new line before every instance of a regex. I can get it to do this for each line that contains the regex, but not for each instance. Contents of infile: Test this 1... Test this 2... Test this 3... Test this 4... Test this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Newbie Question Regex

I starting teaching myself python and am stuck on trying to understand why I am not getting the output that I want. Long story short, I am using PDB for debugging and here my function in which I am having my issue: import re ... ... ... def find_all_flvs(url): soup =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

7. Programming

Python reading from a file

Hello everyone, I've been learning some python (I was using other commercial software before), and doing plots from data stored on files as X and Y pairs has not been an issue. Know, I have some files that look like this: <Descriptive string> <some "random" number> <number of X values:nx>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Regex Removing One Too Many...

Well, I'm a python noob and my last post here I was introduced to Regex. I thought this would be easy since I knew Regex with Bash. However, I've been banging my head a while to extract an ip address from ifconfig with this: #!/usr/bin/python import re import subprocess from subprocess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
5 Replies

9. Programming

Python Regex List Creation

Here is a snippet of my code: blahblahblah... blah for link in goodies.soup.find_all('a'): blah.append(link.get('href')) blah=list(set(blah)) which gives my list of urls. So now I use a regex to search for the relevant urls which I want in a list: for r... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python with Regex and Excel

Hello I have a big excel file for Ticket Data Analysis. The idea is to make meaningful insight from Resolution Field. Now as people write whatever they feel like while resolving the ticket it makes quite a task. 1. They may or may not tag it with something like below within the resolution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
1 Replies
PRUNEHISTORY(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   PRUNEHISTORY(8)

NAME
prunehistory - remove file names from Usenet history file SYNOPSIS
prunehistory [ -f filename ] [ -p ] DESCRIPTION
Prunehistory modifies the history(5) text file to ``remove'' a set of filenames from it. The filenames are removed by overwriting them with spaces, so that the size and position of any following entries does not change. Prunehistory reads the standard input. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines are should consist of a Message-ID followed by zero or more filenames. The Message-ID is used as the dbz(3) key to get an offset into the text file. If no filenames are mentioned on the input line, then all filenames in the text are ``removed.'' If any filenames are mentioned, they are converted into the history file notation. If they appear in the line for the specified Message-ID then they are removed. Since innd(8) only appends to the text file, prunehistory does not need to have any interaction with it. OPTIONS
-p Prunehistory will normally complain about lines that do not follow the correct format. If the ``-p'' flag is used, then the program will silently print any invalid lines on its standard output. (Blank lines and comment lines are also passed through.) This can be useful when prunehistory is used as a filter for other programs such as reap. -f The default name of the history file is <pathdb in inn.conf>/history; to specify a different name, use the ``-f'' flag. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.7, dated 1998/04/09. SEE ALSO
dbz(3), history(5), inn.conf(5), innd(8). PRUNEHISTORY(8)