Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers MAN command for various shells Post 302869543 by blackrageous on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 01:38:37 PM
Old 10-30-2013
Man pages in general are not tied to a particular shell. You should defer to the set of man pages for your particular version of unix. Like aix, solaris, etc.
This User Gave Thanks to blackrageous For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man command

I know what the man command does and I know how to use it, but i am trying to find an answer to a question. When you run man on an other command it will give you the first page on your screen and then you hit the space bar and it brings up the second page. What command option would I use if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipoffools
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning new shells from the command line in OpenStep 4.2

Hi all, Im trying to figure out what the command would be to launch terminal windows from the command line in Open Step 4.2 . (looking for something similiar like /usr/bin/xterm or /usr/bin/dtterm etc) echo $TERM = vt100 echo $SHELL = /bin/csh Im combing over alot of OpenStep 4.2 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocketman8541
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Creating a Man page for a command

Hi, I would like to develop a man page as the one we usually get when we execute man <command name>. This man page will be for a samll utility that i have written. If this is not possible then what are the available possibilites for creating such help. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

4. Linux

man command

Hey people do u know how to disable the man command in linux??? i am not able to do anythg apart from disabling the permission for /usr/bin/... i dont wanna uninstall the man / man pages also... this has been one of the toughest challenges i have come across in linux... can anybody... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.user
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in command syntax different shells

hi, i am aa unix amateur and i am using tsh, csh and bash most of the time. i have been looking over the net to find a summary of the differences in command syntax for example: in csh and tsh you do alias whatday date while in bash and ksh you do alias whatday=date i just want more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences in BASH and ASH shells regarding if command?

Guys I now have a script that's working in a BASH environment, however one line doesn't appear to be working on an embedded device that has a busybox therefore ASH shell. I've googled but there's very little I can find regarding the ASH shell. In BASH the following line works... if ] ;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Man command

How to get only the options and arguments of a command excluding the descriptive help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayur_verma
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

man command output to a txt file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to outut the man command output into a text file which will help me for future reference. 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariniiyer300
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using man command

hi linux expert how to use man command for get help about "extended regular expression"? many thanks samad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
TEST(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TEST(1)

NAME
test, [ -- condition evaluation utility SYNOPSIS
test expression [ expression ] DESCRIPTION
The test utility evaluates the expression and, if it evaluates to true, returns a zero (true) exit status; otherwise it returns 1 (false). If there is no expression, test also returns 1 (false). All operators and flags are separate arguments to the test utility. The following primaries are used to construct expression: -b file True if file exists and is a block special file. -c file True if file exists and is a character special file. -d file True if file exists and is a directory. -e file True if file exists (regardless of type). -f file True if file exists and is a regular file. -g file True if file exists and its set group ID flag is set. -h file True if file exists and is a symbolic link. This operator is retained for compatibility with previous versions of this pro- gram. Do not rely on its existence; use -L instead. -k file True if file exists and its sticky bit is set. -n string True if the length of string is nonzero. -p file True if file is a named pipe (FIFO). -r file True if file exists and is readable. -s file True if file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t file_descriptor True if the file whose file descriptor number is file_descriptor is open and is associated with a terminal. -u file True if file exists and its set user ID flag is set. -w file True if file exists and is writable. True indicates only that the write flag is on. The file is not writable on a read-only file system even if this test indicates true. -x file True if file exists and is executable. True indicates only that the execute flag is on. If file is a directory, true indi- cates that file can be searched. -z string True if the length of string is zero. -L file True if file exists and is a symbolic link. -O file True if file exists and its owner matches the effective user id of this process. -G file True if file exists and its group matches the effective group id of this process. -S file True if file exists and is a socket. file1 -nt file2 True if file1 exists and is newer than file2. file1 -ot file2 True if file1 exists and is older than file2. file1 -ef file2 True if file1 and file2 exist and refer to the same file. string True if string is not the null string. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 < s2 True if string s1 comes before s2 based on the binary value of their characters. s1 > s2 True if string s1 comes after s2 based on the binary value of their characters. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. n1 -ne n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are not algebraically equal. n1 -gt n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically greater than the integer n2. n1 -ge n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically greater than or equal to the integer n2. n1 -lt n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically less than the integer n2. n1 -le n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically less than or equal to the integer n2. If file is a symbolic link, test will fully dereference it and then evaluate the expression against the file referenced, except for the -h and -L primaries. These primaries can be combined with the following operators: ! expression True if expression is false. expression1 -a expression2 True if both expression1 and expression2 are true. expression1 -o expression2 True if either expression1 or expression2 are true. ( expression ) True if expression is true. The -a operator has higher precedence than the -o operator. Some shells may provide a builtin test command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. GRAMMAR AMBIGUITY
The test grammar is inherently ambiguous. In order to assure a degree of consistency, the cases described in the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''), section D11.2/4.62.4, standard are evaluated consistently according to the rules specified in the standards document. All other cases are subject to the ambiguity in the command semantics. In particular, only expressions containing -a, -o, ( or ) can be ambiguous. EXIT STATUS
The test utility exits with one of the following values: 0 expression evaluated to true. 1 expression evaluated to false or expression was missing. >1 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
Implement test FILE1 -nt FILE2 using only POSIX functionality: test -n "$(find -L -- FILE1 -prune -newer FILE2 2>/dev/null)" This can be modified using non-standard find(1) primaries like -newerca to compare other timestamps. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with some other implementations, the = primary can be substituted with == with the same meaning. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), expr(1), find(1), sh(1), stat(1), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The test utility implements a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The primaries <, ==, >, -ef, -nt, -ot, -G, and -O are extensions. BUGS
Both sides are always evaluated in -a and -o. For instance, the writable status of file will be tested by the following command even though the former expression indicated false, which results in a gratuitous access to the file system: [ -z abc -a -w file ] To avoid this, write [ -z abc ] && [ -w file ] BSD
June 1, 2013 BSD