Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Newby: How to actually update software?! Post 302868777 by sas on Monday 28th of October 2013 06:37:25 PM
Old 10-28-2013
Thanks a bunch!

I love the Synaptic software (or shd I say "package"Smilie ), thanks for leading me down the path to a package manager Bakunin!

What if a package isn't available using apt-get? Then what? Untar and pray tar doesn't get all over the OS (ok bad joke...)...?

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a newby

I am new to using nawk. When I put the following line in script file test1.awk I get the results: { print NR, length($0),NF} >nawk -f test1.awk head.txt 1 63 5 2 2622 188 3 2166 155 4 3192 228 5 2679 192 ..... but if I modify the test1.awk file to look like this: BEGIN {FS = ","}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: placroix1
2 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Software Update reporting script

I need a script that gets the output of softwareupdate -al on each machine (the list of available updates) and reports how many updates are needed in total by all the machines on the network, and the results to 4 different recipients. i.e. total patches required = 12 hostname1 =4 patch(es)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. SuSE

update package/software questions

Hi, In SUSE linux, it looks like that I can update the package using YAST or install the package from source. So, which way works better? Also, if i install the package of new version. Do i need to remove/delete the old version package, or I just need to change my environments and keep the old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
0 Replies
SYNAPTIC(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SYNAPTIC(8)

NAME
synaptic - graphical management of software packages SYNOPSIS
synaptic [options] DESCRIPTION
Synaptic is a frontend for the apt package managent system. It allows you to perform all actions of the command line tool apt-get in a graphical environemnt. This includes installing, upgrading, downgrading and removing of single packages or even upgrading your whole sys- tem. A manual with detailed instructions can be found in the help menu of Synaptic. OPTIONS
Synaptic accepts all of the standard Gtk+ toolkit command line options as well as the following: -f, --filter-file=filename specify an alternative filter settings file -i, --initial-filter=int apply the filter with number int at startup -o, --option=option set an internal option (experts only) AUTHORS
Synaptic was originally developed by Alfredo K. Kojima <kojima@conectiva.com.br>. His last official release was 0.16. Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org> took over his CVS version, that already included a nearly complete port to Gtk+. Michael completed the port and added new features. See the NEWS file for the user visible changes from that point on. Conectiva is still involved in the development of synaptic. Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer@conectiva.com> is doing a great deal of work. All development is done at http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/synaptic This manual page was originally written by Wybo Dekker <wybo@servalys.nl> and Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org> and modified by Sebastian Hein- lein <sebastian.heinlein@campus.lmu.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Conectiva S/A Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Michael Vogt There is NO warranty. You may redistribute this software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING. Mar 4, 2004 SYNAPTIC(8)