Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: General Purpose Date Script
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers General Purpose Date Script Post 302868049 by Corona688 on Friday 25th of October 2013 05:33:57 PM
Old 10-25-2013
Bug noted, thank you a lot, I had --date "something" when I should have done --date="something".

Thanks for reminding me about the +syntax feature, which I'd planned but forgotten.

Date math is not hard here, I am letting mktime handle absolutely everything tricky. I do not need to know when the next leap year is, I subtract 1 from the 'year' value and let mktime decide what that is.

Yes yes I know that Perl has about 37 different date modules I could be using. But if I'm going to tell someone to install 'Perl::MyFavoriteDateModule' I might as well just tell them to install GNU date. The whole point is to not do that, (and to show elegant Perl code is possible without including the kitchen sink).

Some of those tests are just weird though. I have no idea how you got 23 hours from subtracting days, it certainly doesn't happen here. I may have done something odd with a last-minute fix when I posted. [edit] Now I know. It happened because of the --date vs --date= problem. Perl does strange things when you do arithmetic on strings.

Anyway, I'll incorporate your suggestions and repost. Thanks again. [edit] Version 2 is now in the OP.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-25-2013 at 06:57 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for a general purpose System Monitor

Does anyone have any scripts or suggestions on a general purpose Unix/Linux monitoring tool? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the purpose of the following script?

whats the purpose of the following script? who could run it? To what is the script refering that exceeds 75%? The mailbox? What does sed 's/%//' do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (?) help or just general script

I have two files (___ represents blanks) Foo1 1000 345 456 1001 876 908 1002 ___ 786 1003 643 908 1004 345 234 and Foo2 1000 345 1001 876 1002 111 1003 643 1004 345 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to fill up disk space for testing purpose

Hello everyone I am new to this forum I am working on a project and needed a test script to fill up a disk partition /tmp/data to see how the program fails. The system I am working on is a redhat 5.3. Is there anything out there? Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dp100022
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of - (hypen) in script or command line

Hi, I am new for unix and I am following ABS guide. What is the purpose of - (hypen ) in the below command and What it will do in this?. Can anyone explain it in detail. Rest of the things in the below command I understood somewhat. (cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) | (cd /dest/directory &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

General Purpose XML Processing

I've been kicking this around for a while now, I might as well post it here. v0.0.9, now properly supporting self-closing tags. v0.0.8, an important quoting fix and a minor change which should handle special <? <!-- etc. tags without seizing up as often. Otherwise the code hasn't changed much.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
6 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)