Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Want to remove all lines but not latest 50 lines from a file Post 302867797 by vbe on Friday 25th of October 2013 04:39:24 AM
Old 10-25-2013
50 or 50000 ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove lines from file

file: 1 xxxxxxx 2 xxx xxx 5 xxx xxx ... 180 xxxxxx 200 xxx how to remove any lines with the first number range 1-180 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove the lines in my file

Hi, There seems to some hack attempts in my site. I have attached the index page of my site and I need to remove the below lines from the index page. The below lines are at the center of the file. --> </style> <script>E V A L( unescape(... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi to remove lines in file

All, I have a text file with several entries like below: personname personname.domain.com I know there is a way to use vi to remove only the personname.domain.com line. Can someone help? I believe that it involves /s/g/ something...I just can't remember the exact syntax. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove lines from file

Hi gurus, i'm trying to remove a number of lines from a large file using the following command: sed '1,5000d' oldfile > newfile Somehow the lines in the old file are not deleted... Am I doing this wrongly? Any suggestions? :confused: Thanks! :) wee (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove : lines from file

A small question I have a test.txt file I have contents as: a:google b:yahoo : c:facebook : d:hotmail How do I remove the line with : my output should be a:google b:yahoo c:facebook d:hotmail (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aronmelon
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from file

Hey Gang- I have a list of servers. I want to exclude servers that begin with and end with certain characters. Is there an easy command to do this? Example wvm1234dev wvm1234pro uvm1122dev uvm1122bku uvm1344dev I want to exclude any lines that start with "wvm" OR "uvm" AND end... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: idiotboy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two files, remove lines from second based on lines in first

I have two files, a keepout.txt and a database.csv. They're unsorted, but could be sorted. keepout: user1 buser3 anuser19 notheruser27 database: user1,2343,"information about",field,blah,34 user2,4231,"mo info",etc,stuff,43 notheruser27,4344,"hiya",thing,more thing,423... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esoffron
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that are subsets of other lines in File

Hello everyone, Although it seems easy, I've been stuck with this problem for a moment now and I can't figure out a way to get it done. My problem is the following: I have a file where each line is a sequence of IP addresses, example : 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MisterJellyBean
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
HOTSWAPRC(5)							File Formats Manual						      HOTSWAPRC(5)

NAME
hotswaprc - configuration file for hotswap DESCRIPTION
/etc/hotswaprc is the global configuration file for the hotswap utility. It allows system administrators to specify arbitrary shell scripts to be run after a device is inserted, as well as before and after it is removed. Scripts are selected according to the model name retrieved from the device. This is particularly helpful for automatic configura- tion of CD-RW drives, which require SCSI emulation and bypass normal access via the IDE subsystem. hotswaprc is implemented as an Extensible Mark-up Language (XML) application. XML documents are structured using elements of the form <tag-name> content <tag-name>. A Document Type Definition (DTD) describes the possible content of each element. Please refer to the XML specification for more information. The hotswap distribution also contains an example file, doc/hotswaprc.example, which includes the DTD for the configuration file format. ELEMENTS
<hotswap> This is the root element of the document. Each valid hotswaprc must contain exactly one <hotswap> element. The <hotswap> element may contain an arbitrary number of <device> elements. <device> The configuration file contains one <device> element for every device for which scripts are defined. The <device> element is com- posed of the following elements in this order: <name>, <post-insert>, <pre-remove>, <post-remove>. All but <name> are optional. <name> The content of this element is the model identification string of the IDE device the current <device> element refers to. <post-insert> Contains the shell script that is to be executed after the device has been inserted and registered with the kernel. <pre-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run before hotswap attempts to unregister the device. <post-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run after the device had been unregistered. REPORT BUGS
Report bugs to t.stadelmann1@physics.ox.ac.uk. AUTHOR
Written by Tim Stadelmann. SEE ALSO
hotswap(1), xhotswap(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Tim Stadelmann. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. 26th November 2002 HOTSWAPRC(5)