Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with number of files in a tar archive Post 302863657 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 02:27:20 AM
Old 10-15-2013
Try tar tvf tarfile.tar and then grep -c

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleting files after the creation of a tar archive

Hi, I would modify to delete the files after creating the tar archive. How I can modify the following command: tar -cvvf logswitch.tar `find *.log* -mtime +5` It create a tar with files that are older than 5 days. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archive (tar)

Hi, I want to archive below directories ex: /home/oracle/ddd0 /home/oracle/ddd1 /home/oracle/ddd2 I want a command(tar) which will let me archive the above directories excluding *.dmp(dump files), *.log(log files) in those directories. So the archived file doesn't have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with including specific patern files

Hi, I need to create recursive tar archive, while I put there only files of type a*.txt. Without file filtering the command is: tar cfzf test.tar.gz test_tar/ How I include the switch for including only files with pattern a*.txt ? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john.gelburg
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive

Hi Folks, I have a tar.gz compressed file with me, and I want to know the number of files in the archive without uncompressing it. Please let me know how I can achieve it. Regards RK Veluvali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrk1219
5 Replies

7. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questing regarding tar large number of files

I want to tar large number of files about 150k. i am using the find command as below to create a file with all file names. & then trying to use the tar -I command as below. # find . -type f -name "gpi*" > include-file # tar -I include-file -cvf newfile.tar This i got from one of the posts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
2 Replies

9. Solaris

USTAR tar archive

Hello Admins, I am facing an issue with ustar tar archive on solaris 10. By mistake I have created ustar tar archive of /var/adm/messages file on solaris10. I am trying to untar the /var/adm/messages file . but I am not getting the original text messages file. I user tar -xvf ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files from tar archive which are more than 1000 days old.

I am not able to extract/remove files older than 1000 days from a tar archive in linux system. #!/usr/bin/perl @file_list = `find /home/x/tmp/ -name *xxMsg* -ctime +7`; $file_name = '/home/x/tmp/new_archive.tar'; for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DannyV
1 Replies
SHAPE_TAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      SHAPE_TAR(1)

NAME
shape_tar - shapeTools RMS bundle up subsystem in a tar or shar archive SYNOPSIS
shape tar[VERSIONS=<version_selection_rule>] [ARCHIVE=<filename>] shape shar[VERSIONS=<version_selection_rule>] [ARCHIVE=<filename>] DESCRIPTION
Shape tar and shape shar create a tar or a shar archive containing all source components of the current node in the system tree. All source components listed in the COMPONENTS macro in the Makefile and the release identification file (VERSIONFILE) are written to the archive. Components of subsystems are not included in the archive file. The VERSIONS macro may be set to specify a version selection rule to be active during archive file creation. Default is most_recent, selecting the most recent version of each component. See shape_stdrul(7) or the $(SHAPELIBPATH)/stdrules for other possible settings. You may also use self defined version selection rules as VERSIONS. ARCHIVE is the base name of the file where the output shall be written to. Default is $(SUBSYSTEMNAME). The output file gets the filename extension .tar (resp. .shar). When ARCHIVE=- is given, data will be written to standard output. SEE ALSO
shape_RMS(1), shape_stdrul(7) FILES
$(SUBSYSTEMNAME).tar $(SUBSYSTEMNAME).shar 7.8.119 SHAPE_TAR(1)