Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output, working with files. What is wrong? Post 302860501 by Manu1234567 on Sunday 6th of October 2013 01:22:12 PM
Old 10-06-2013
Output, working with files. What is wrong?

I cannot figure out what is wrong.... I have 3 files with IP addresses:
file1 134.123.3.236
file2 134.123.3.235
file3 134.123.5.237
I type "prob1 Oops x2x3x4". Then my code creates file with name Oops and first line x2x3x4. Moreover, my code generate IP and it gives to file Oops as a second line. In addition, my code looks at all files with IP addresses compare and give next own IP. For example, the maximum according to third and fourth oct is file3 with his IP! So I need to create Oops file with 134.123.5.238 (254 is a max ) as a second line.

Everything works but my second line gives me wrong IP. Help me please ;( thanks
Code:
for i in $1 $2
   do

my_variable=$(awk -F '[.]' '
$3 > m3 {m3 = $3; m4 = $4; next}
$3 == m3 && $4 > m4 {m4 = $4; m4=$4 + 1 }
END { if(m4 == 254) {m4=0; m3++}

{print  "134.123."m3"."m4
}

} ' /Users/Unknown/hosts/*
)

echo "$2" "\n" "$my_variable" > /Users/Unknown/hosts/$1.txt

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Printing to a Savin - Size of output wrong

Hello, I am trying to print reports from our aix system to a Savin Printer. The trouble is that the reports come out enlarged on it. The same report comes out fine though on a regular laser printer or pick ticket printer. Windows prints fine to the savin, Its just from our AIX system and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h1timmboy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort command giving wrong output

Hi all, I have a problem with sort command. i have a file which looks like this: "file1 1073 java/4 1073 java/180 1073 java/170 1073 java/176 1073 java/167 1073 java/40 1073 java/33 1073 java/136 28988 java/76 28988 java/73 28988 java/48 28988 java/26" and i want to sort... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr command giving wrong output

Hi All, i have a file which have many fields delimited by ,(comma) now i have to show only few fields and not all. the sample text file looks like this: TYPE=SERVICEEVENT, TIMESTAMP=05/06/2009 11:01:40 PM, HOST=sppwa634, APPLICATION=ASComp, FUNCTION=LimitsService, SOU... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wrong output in perl script

Hi, Here is my piece of code-- #!/usr/bin/perl my $Time_Stamp ; my $User_Name; my $Success; my $Failure; my $ErrorCode; my $ErrorMsg; my $logDir = $ARGV; my $logPrefix = $ARGV; die "usage: $0 <logDir> <logPrefix>" unless $logDir and $logPrefix; die "Log dir $logDir doesn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

getting wrong output with AWK command!!!

i have a file which gets appended with 9 records daily and the file keeps growing from then...i use to store the previous day files count in a variable called oldfilecount and current files count as newfilecount.my requirement is that i need to start processing only the new records from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl...getting wrong output?

Good morning! Im trying to write and learn at the same time a simple script. fTHe script should tell me if a number is odd or even/ #!/usr/bin/perl $num = 10; $string1 = "This number is odd"; $string2 = "This number is even"; if ($num /= 2) { print "$string1\n"; }else{ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output in find command

Hi guys - I am trying a small script to tell me if there is a file that exists less than 1k. It should report ERROR, otherwise the check is good. I wrote this script down, however it never runs in the if/then statement. It always returns the echo ERROR. MYSIZE=$(find /home/student/dir1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output when run via Cron

Hello, This may be a simple one, but i can't see what the issue is. When i run the script via CLI, then i get the correct output via the if statement, but when i run via CRON i get the wrong statement. echo " Checking Job Status" >> $DIR/Bpimagecleanup_$DATE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Output coming in wrong format....

Hi team, getting output logs wrong in different format from telnet script ... getting Output.txt macro_outdoor_dist-6.0.0(v4_0_2) DN:1.3.903 (1101:100:11w:500:3:2:103:aa) macro_outdoor_dist-8.1.0(v3_1_0) DN:1.3.409 (N/A)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output when writing to file

Hello, I am having problem while redirecting output to a file where as on console output is proper. for dir in */; do printf "%s, " "$dir"; ls -m "$dir"; echo; done > output.txt Output of above command is coming in single line but when i am redirecting output to a file, single line i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manoj Rajput
10 Replies
merge(1)						      General Commands Manual							  merge(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
combines two files that are revisions of a single original file. The original file is file2, and the revised files are file1 and file3. identifies all changes that lead from file2 to file3 and from file2 to file1, then deposits the merged text into file1. If the option is used, the result goes to standard output instead of file1. An overlap occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in the same place. prints how many overlaps occurred, and includes both alterna- tives in the result. The alternatives are delimited as follows: lines in file1 lines in file3 If there are overlaps, edit the result in file1 and delete one of the alternatives. This command is particularly useful for revision control, especially if file1 and file3 are the ends of two branches that have file2 as a common ancestor. EXAMPLES
A typical use for is as follows: 1. To merge an RCS branch into the trunk, first check out the three different versions from RCS (see co(1)) and rename them for their revision numbers: 5.2, 5.11, and 5.2.3.3. File 5.2.3.3 is the end of an RCS branch that split off the trunk at file 5.2. 2. For this example, assume file 5.11 is the latest version on the trunk, and is also a revision of the "original" file, 5.2. Merge the branch into the trunk with the command: 3. File 5.11 now contains all changes made on the branch and the trunk, and has markings in the file to show all overlapping changes. 4. Edit file 5.11 to correct the overlaps, then use the command to check the file back in (see ci(1)). WARNINGS
uses the ed(1) system editor. Therefore, the file size limits of ed(1) apply to AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). merge(1)