Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Searching max
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching max Post 302860333 by CarloM on Saturday 5th of October 2013 04:06:05 PM
Old 10-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
@CarloM: I think he/she wanted the maxoct4 of all lines with maxoct3.
Oops. That was my intention, but I neglected to reset maxoct4, as in Don's corrected version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu1234567
What if each of these IPs contains in each file? I think I need to add only for loop right? I mean for example
134.123.3.236 in file1 134.123.25.231 in file2
134.123.3.235 in file 3 etc
Do you want to maximum over all files? Just pass all the filenames to the awk (or sort) command.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Max I/O Size

My HP-UX 11.0 system is supporting an Oracle database. I have found a number of references on the Net to the "Max I/O size" in relation to setting Oracle parameters. How can I tell what my max i/o size is? I originally made the assumption that it was referring to my stripe size but now I think... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding max value

My code below is supposed to find which company had the most business and then print the appropriate fields from another file which are the companies ID number and name. I can loop through awk and display all the total amount of business for each company but I need help in only printing out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Enigma23
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How i get the max value of a row?

I have a file like: <word> 5 <word> 3 <word> 5 <word> 2 <word> 6 <word> 8 <word> 12 and i need to know the max value of the second column, in this case 12. Plz help me! Actually i need the TOTAL, AVERANGE and MAX VALUE and i'm using this in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

max value

Hi All, I want to choose the maximum value from a column values. eg - 234 23 567 43 2456 5 678 8978 from thses values how to choose the max value ? thanks. roger. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max NO of parameters

1> Can anyone tell me what is the maximum no of parameters that can be passed to a file 2> i have 100 files amongst which in 500 files i have a string which needs to be searched how would get the names of those files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

6. Programming

int *ptr + max possible value

From reading my C book, Im aware that the integers have a maximum value which depends on what type of processor you are using (since they use 16-bit or 32-bit instructions). Now I know pointers are very flexible, since they can reference anything, but in the case of integer pointers, can they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
4 Replies

7. Linux

max password is blank

Hi All, I have this userid: # cat /etc/shadow | grep mysql mysql:$1$O12345678901234/.:123456:0::14::: Max password expiration is blank. What does it mean? If it's like this below mysql:$1$O12345678901234/.:123456:0:99999:14::: then there's no expiration. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the MAX value out of a column

I've the following data set. I would like to look at the column 3 and only use the rows which has the max value for column 3 Can we use the awk or sed to achieve it. 10 2 10 100 11 2 20 100 12 2 30 100 13 2 30 100 14 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
7 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)