Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove nullable columns in lines Post 302859687 by skpshell on Thursday 3rd of October 2013 02:50:37 PM
Old 10-03-2013
Remove nullable columns in lines

Hi Every one, my requirement is to remove the null columns in line, comma delimiter used
For example,

Code:
A,11,20,30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

B1,,,,,, gem,plum,kite,,,,gud,bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,
B2,kiing,kong,height,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rak,,,,,,,,,,,,,

B1,,,,,, gem,plum,kite,,,,gud,bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,
B2,kiing,kong,height,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rak,,,,,,,,,,,,,

C,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,20

Here A and C are constant, B1 and B2 lines will be repeated many times, In line A i need to remove all the ',' after the value 30 and in line
B1 we have 5 nulls before value'Gem' i need to remove that and also remove all the ',' after rak, same for B2 and C

Logic like foreach line get A (iF A SH then Cut $1 to $5), can some one help me to fix this.

---------- Post updated at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:17 PM ----------

can some one help please !!!!

Last edited by joeyg; 10-03-2013 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Wrap data and commands in CodeTags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with n columns

Hi folks - hope you are all well. I am trying to perform some pre-processing on a data file, to make sure it is in a valid format before performing a data upload. Each row of data in the file should consist of 10 comma delimited fields. Can anyone advise me of a sed/awk command that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krispy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines, Sorted with Time based columns using AWK & SORT

Hi having a file as follows MediaErr.log 84 Server1 Policy1 Schedule1 master1 05/08/2008 02:12:16 84 Server1 Policy1 Schedule1 master1 05/08/2008 02:22:47 84 Server1 Policy1 Schedule1 master1 05/08/2008 03:41:26 84 Server1 Policy1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command for add 2 columns and remove 2 columns in unix/performance tuning

Hi all, I have created a script which adding two columns and removing two columns for all files. Filename: Cust_information_1200_201010.txt Source Data: "1","Cust information","123","106001","street","1-203 high street" "1","Cust information","124","105001","street","1-203 high street" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove duplicate lines based on two columns and judging from a third one

hello all, I have an input file with four columns like this with a lot of lines and for example, line 1 and line 5 match because the first 4 characters match and the fourth column matches too. I want to keep the line that has the lowest number in the third column. So I discard line 5.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two files, remove lines from second based on lines in first

I have two files, a keepout.txt and a database.csv. They're unsorted, but could be sorted. keepout: user1 buser3 anuser19 notheruser27 database: user1,2343,"information about",field,blah,34 user2,4231,"mo info",etc,stuff,43 notheruser27,4344,"hiya",thing,more thing,423... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esoffron
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with unique information in indicated columns

Hi, I have the 3-column, tab-separated following data: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 I want to remove all of those lines in which the values of Columns 1 and 2 are identical. In this way, the results would be as follows: dot is-big 2 cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that are subsets of other lines in File

Hello everyone, Although it seems easy, I've been stuck with this problem for a moment now and I can't figure out a way to get it done. My problem is the following: I have a file where each line is a sequence of IP addresses, example : 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MisterJellyBean
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies