Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo backspace in spinner script Post 302858503 by RudiC on Monday 30th of September 2013 03:09:32 PM
Old 09-30-2013
Code:
SP='-/|\'
while true; do printf "\b%s" ${SP:i++%4:1}; sleep 0.1; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backspace Not Working in Script

Hello, I've written a Perl script that prompts for asnwers to questons. At those prompts, the backspace key shows up as ^H^H. I would like the users to have the ablility to use the backspace key. I'm running bash shell and don't otherwise have this problem. Any help would be greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atama
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Backspace stty inconsistency

I have this in my .profile: stty erase `tput kbs` which sets erase to ^H for a vt and ^? for an xterm. This has been fine up until now on all systems whether I login using a vt terminal emulator or an xterm. On this new system though, if I log in directly using an xterm, backspace doesn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Runrig
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control + h and Backspace

Hello, I am a UNIX newbie. With that out of that way.. In order to delete a mistyped character, I need to press control+h to move the cursor to the left, and then overwrite it. If I try hitting the backspace key, it just brings me to a new prompt. Is there a way to change it so that my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: martinp973
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backspace Key From Within Script

I have a script that asks a user for a few question. I would like the users to be able to use the backspace key if they make a mistake. Right now when they try they get ^? instead of it backing up. As you can see here from a stty -a the backspace is set... speed 38400 baud; rows = 42;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Using backspace in solaris - help

Hi In solaris if i have to delete something from shell i need to use ctrl+H, coz if i use backspace it shows ^?. Can any one please tell me how to set backspace key so that i can delete any character directly instead of using Ctrl+h. Second Q is like in linux for going to recent command, i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to test for backspace

Hi all, I am using a script which is as follows: It reads a character. I want to check if the character is a backspace character or some other character. read -n 1 x if ; then echo "backspace detected" else echo "some other character" fi Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandkumar
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

backspace in vi search

Hi gurus, i use vi editor. when I want search something I Type / (or ? if i want search backward), that is OK. But when i make mistake in searching string how can i delete character ? I tried bacskpase but did not work (gives just strange characters). Also tried shift+bacskspace but this only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo backspace

Hello Forum: I am trying to find a meaning to this echo escape character: echo -e "\b" Can someone tell me or give me examples of the effect that this has when used. I know that \b is the backspace, but I cannot visualise it use like any other escape such as: echo -e "\n" Thanks. --Willie (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: willie
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script backspace not working for Unicode characters

Hello, My Perl script reads input from stdin and prints it out to stdout. After I read input I use BACKSPACE to erase characters. However BACKSPACE does not work with Unicode characters that are multi-bytes. On screen the character is erased but underneath only one byte is deleted instead of all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using backspace in echo to show process count

i have something like this tablesName="abc def hij akn ... etc etc" count=0 for i in $tablesName do echo -en "\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\bTableCount: $count" count=`expr $count + 1` done the above is just a description wha i need is when the loop executes the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)