Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No eol in swap file
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) No eol in swap file Post 302858249 by gale on Sunday 29th of September 2013 08:14:06 PM
Old 09-29-2013
No eol in swap file

I was editing a file with vi and crashed so when I opened the file again I had the .swp file to deal with. I made the wrong choice trying to recover my file and wound up with a file with no eol (end of line) characters.

I have forgotten the code to substitute and don't want to make an even bigger mess. What I see now are thousands of ^@ characters.

After I thought I had recovered the file I gave the command
mv .[filename].swp [filename]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap file

I just started working with AIX and need a little help. Is there a command to find the size of the swap file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paule
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding EOL char is there or not in a big size file

Hi, I am using ksh. I have to find wether data file has EOL or not. as per my knowledge we can easily find by checking each character. But this is a tedious job as per my requirement because my data file size is very big . It may be in 25-30 MB. So please advice me how i can check wether... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HariRaju
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know whether that file has eol or noeol before opening that file in VI editor

Hi, I want to check whether file has EOL or NOEOL before opening this file in VI editor. My file is very big its in terms of 15-20 MB. I am using ksh for this. When we opened the file in vi editor, normally at last line we are able to see whether this is eol or noeol file. But i does want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HariRaju
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup value in file and Append new value at EOL

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting but have successfully created some of my own scripts using awk and sed. However, I have come across a problem that I cannot solve on my own and have not been able to find a good example that relates to what I am trying to do. What I need is for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kixazz2529
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. Linux

How to insert EOL?

How can I insert End of line (EOL) in Unix to file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
5 Replies

8. AIX

How to remove ^M from the EOL?

The only way I know of is manually as follows: To remove for example ^M from a file: - vi the file name that has ^M at the end of each line. - Hit <Esc> - Type :g/ - Hold the CNTRL key and press V and M then release the CNTRL key At the buttom you should see this by now: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
restorefont(1)							Svgalib User Manual						    restorefont(1)

NAME
restorefont - save or restore the SVGA font for textmode. SYNOPSIS
restorefont {-r|-w} filename DESCRIPTION
The font used by SVGA when in textmode is written to or restored from filename using the vga_gettextfont(3) and vga_puttextfont(3) func- tions. FILE FORMAT
The VGA font file filename has the following format: Offset: 0 - 31 Character 0 ... ... 8164 - 8195 Character 255 Each row of a character bitmap is stored as a byte (8 pixels). The space that is left from the 32-byte buffer for each character is ignored, e.g. a 16 line font uses only offsets 0 - 15 of each character. Linux textmode screen resolutions: 80x25 16 line font 400 scanlines 80x28 14 line font 400 scanlines 80x50 8 line font 400 scanlines The font sizes and resolutions of extended textmodes depend on the video card type and BIOS: 132x25 14 line font 350 scanlines (ugly) 132x25 16 line font 400 scanlines 132x43 8 line font 350 scanlines (use fix132x43 to fix/improve) 132x50 8 line font 400 scanlines Using a font that has less lines per character than the textmode works, but the characters are smaller. Using a font that is bigger than the textmode font results in the bottom part of characters being cut off. The svgalib distribution contains sample fonts with 8, 14 and 16 line characters in the files utils/font8, utils/font14, and utils/font16. The convfont (1) program can be used to convert fonts straightforwardly stored character-after-character (i.e. each character only uses 8/14/whatever bytes), to the 32-byte per character format that restorefont requires. The purpose of this program is usually to recover from a crashed console due to an svgalib, Xfree or other program bug. First save the state of the SVGA card when on a text console. After the crash restore this state. The savetextmode(1) and textmode(1) script makes this procedure very easy. The national/fontpak packages, which include kernel patches, allow different textmode fonts to be used in different virtual consoles. These have been superseded by the kbd package (in the kernel since ages). See the setfont(8) utility of the kbd package as a starting point. Recent kernels support up to 2 fonts with 512 chars each. Recent versions of svgalib take this into account and extend the size of the datafile accordingly. OPTIONS
-w filename write the font to the file filename. -r filename restore the font from the file filename. SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), setfont(8), vga_gettextfont(3), vga_puttextfont(3), dumpreg(1), convfont(1), fix132x43(1), restore- textmode(1), restorepalette(1), runx(1), savetextmode(1), setmclk(1), textmode(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced utility as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 2 Aug 1997 restorefont(1)