Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with use of the ? wildcard in regex substitution. Post 302858125 by ropers on Saturday 28th of September 2013 09:49:44 PM
Old 09-28-2013
Thank you very much. That was confusing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. AIX

VI Substitution problem

I'm having a problem getting my variables to work in dishing out an RMC script. The $1 works fine. $2 does not Here's a portion of the script: server=$1 filesystem1=$2 # dsh -w $1 'mkcondition -c "/var space used" -s "Name == \"$2\"" -e "PercentTotUsed > 90" -d "An event will be generated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravy26
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help/wildcard substitution

I need to perform the following substitutions and have been struggling to determine if or how I can do this with sed or perl. I need to change the string foo(bar) to moo(bar,0) wherever this occurs in a file. Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking there might be a wildcard of some sort that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike@NZ
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when concatinating wildcard onto file location in bash script

I am having difficulty with the following script: #! /bin/bash filelist=~/data/${1}* ~/./convertFile $filelist ~/temp/outputEssentially, there are a large number of files in the directory ~/data, each with a four-letter code at the beginning (eg. aaaa001 aaaa002 bbbb001 bbbb002 etc). The... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lears_Fool
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another substitution problem

Hello again, I'm trying to change the following line: INSERT INTO PH1_TX_LOAD VALUES ('TX-78731-AABSS:4182-4','RH: GUIDE TO TENNIS',TO_DATE('18-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE('21-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),500) so that any TO_DATE is taken... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in sed substitution

I have a number of strings that I want to remove: <b>Task: 100</b> <b>Task: 1100 </b> <b>Task: 2200 </b> But the numbers in them can vary from 4, 5 8, digits in length. But, no alpha chars. I tried this: sed '/Task:/,//d' $file > tmpfile ; mv tmpfile $file But it removed additional text on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo wildcards problem: for every argument a *-wildcard? Better solution?

Hi I allow the user tommy to run this command as root sudoCommand: /app/appname/connectors/*/*/current/bin/*With "sudo -l" he sees the sudoers, but is unable to execute. $ sudo /app/appname/connectors/zur/namename/current/bin/othername agentsvc --i --u root --sn 1m7command Sorry, user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in regex for awk

Hello I have a file like : 20120918000001413 | 1.17.163.89 | iSelfcare | MSISDN | N 20120918000001806 | 1.33.27.100 | iSelfcare | 5564 | N .... I want to extract all lines that have on 4th field (considering "|" the separator ) something other than just digits. I want to do this using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed substitution / regex

Hi all, please can anyone show me how to use sed and regular expressions to achieve the following. If a line contains a capital A followed by exactly 5 or 6 characters followed by an angled bracket then insert an asterix before the angled bracket. So: XCONFIGA12345<X Becomes: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jedimark
5 Replies
RENAME(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - renames multiple files SYNOPSIS
rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ] DESCRIPTION
"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard input. For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say rename 's/.bak$//' *.bak To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed. -n, --no-act No Action: show what files would have been renamed. -f, --force Force: overwrite existing files. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. AUTHOR
Larry Wall SEE ALSO
mv(1), perl(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error. BUGS
The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target filenames, so had to be used with care. I hope I've fixed that (Robin Barker). perl v5.14.2 2014-09-26 RENAME(1)