Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with use of the ? wildcard in regex substitution. Post 302858121 by Scott on Saturday 28th of September 2013 09:16:52 PM
Old 09-28-2013
In a regular expression ? matches 0 or 1 of the preceding expression. If you want to match (almost) any character, try using . (period) instead.

Code:
rename 's/m.mp3/mp3/' *mp3

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. AIX

VI Substitution problem

I'm having a problem getting my variables to work in dishing out an RMC script. The $1 works fine. $2 does not Here's a portion of the script: server=$1 filesystem1=$2 # dsh -w $1 'mkcondition -c "/var space used" -s "Name == \"$2\"" -e "PercentTotUsed > 90" -d "An event will be generated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravy26
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help/wildcard substitution

I need to perform the following substitutions and have been struggling to determine if or how I can do this with sed or perl. I need to change the string foo(bar) to moo(bar,0) wherever this occurs in a file. Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking there might be a wildcard of some sort that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike@NZ
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when concatinating wildcard onto file location in bash script

I am having difficulty with the following script: #! /bin/bash filelist=~/data/${1}* ~/./convertFile $filelist ~/temp/outputEssentially, there are a large number of files in the directory ~/data, each with a four-letter code at the beginning (eg. aaaa001 aaaa002 bbbb001 bbbb002 etc). The... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lears_Fool
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another substitution problem

Hello again, I'm trying to change the following line: INSERT INTO PH1_TX_LOAD VALUES ('TX-78731-AABSS:4182-4','RH: GUIDE TO TENNIS',TO_DATE('18-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE('21-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),500) so that any TO_DATE is taken... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in sed substitution

I have a number of strings that I want to remove: <b>Task: 100</b> <b>Task: 1100 </b> <b>Task: 2200 </b> But the numbers in them can vary from 4, 5 8, digits in length. But, no alpha chars. I tried this: sed '/Task:/,//d' $file > tmpfile ; mv tmpfile $file But it removed additional text on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo wildcards problem: for every argument a *-wildcard? Better solution?

Hi I allow the user tommy to run this command as root sudoCommand: /app/appname/connectors/*/*/current/bin/*With "sudo -l" he sees the sudoers, but is unable to execute. $ sudo /app/appname/connectors/zur/namename/current/bin/othername agentsvc --i --u root --sn 1m7command Sorry, user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in regex for awk

Hello I have a file like : 20120918000001413 | 1.17.163.89 | iSelfcare | MSISDN | N 20120918000001806 | 1.33.27.100 | iSelfcare | 5564 | N .... I want to extract all lines that have on 4th field (considering "|" the separator ) something other than just digits. I want to do this using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed substitution / regex

Hi all, please can anyone show me how to use sed and regular expressions to achieve the following. If a line contains a capital A followed by exactly 5 or 6 characters followed by an angled bracket then insert an asterix before the angled bracket. So: XCONFIGA12345<X Becomes: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jedimark
5 Replies
VFS_CROSSRENAME(8)					    System Administration tools 					VFS_CROSSRENAME(8)

NAME
vfs_crossrename - server side rename files across filesystem boundaries SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = crossrename DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_crossrename VFS module allows server side rename operations even if source and target are on different physical devices. A "move" in Explorer is usually a rename operation if it is inside of a single share or device. Usually such a rename operation returns NT_STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE and the client has to move the file by manual copy and delete operations. If the rename by copy is done by the server this can be much more efficient. vfs_crossrename tries to do this server-side cross-device rename operation. There are however limitations that this module currently does not solve: The ACLs of files are not preserved, meta data in EAs are not preserved, renames of whole subdirectories cannot be done recursively, in that case we still return STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE and let the client decide what to do, rename operations of huge files can cause hangs on the client because clients expect a rename operation to return fast. This module is stackable. OPTIONS
crossrename:sizelimit = BYTES server-side cross-device-renames are only done for files if the filesize is not larger than the defined size in MiB to prevent timeouts. The default sizelimit is 20 (MiB) EXAMPLES
To add server-side cross-device renames inside of a share for all files sized up to 50MB: [testshare] path = /data/mounts vfs objects = crossrename crossrename:sizelimit = 50 VERSION
This man page is correct for version 4.0.0 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 VFS_CROSSRENAME(8)