Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenate two variables and form the third variable Post 302857883 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of September 2013 01:26:37 PM
Old 09-27-2013
Why are you trying to do this? Dynamic variable names are generally a terrible idea, and the usual things people want them for are often easily solved by other methods.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Asking on concatenate variable

Hi , like to ask if we use ksh script to take in parameter into $1 and how do i concatenate the $1 value with some words into a variable?? Below is what i have written and i think is wrong ,how do i write it? datafile="Report" || $1 || ".xls" (Should become Report2000.xls) echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueberry80
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate a string and a variable

I need a way to build variable in this manner: variable_$i Inside a for loop i need to create it. where i goes from 1 to 30.. and then i need to print them on screen with echo $variable_$i which is the best way to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedivia
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to concatenate values of two variables with an underscore(_) in between

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. I have two variables a and b a=val1 b=val2 could anyone kindly post the shell script to concatenate the values of variable a and b with an underscore(_) in between? The final output should be val1_val2. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string to a variable

Hello All, How to concatenate a string to a variable in a script I'm having a file which is consisting of data and i need to extract the first line of the file and append it to a string. /tmp/samp.list containg 60000 I like to concatenate it with a string (SS_) grep -w SS_$(head -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkamalkishore
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables problem

Hello, I have a tricky problem: I have a $file with a variable number of occurrences of "ORA-" (in this case two) .......... EXP-00008: ORACLE error 3113 encountered ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1403 encountered ORA-01403: no data found... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurentiu
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable concatenate

Hello, It might be stupid question But I will ask it any way:) var1="1 2 3 4" var2="5 6 7 8" var3=$var1\ $var2 var4="$var1\n$var2" echo "$var1" echo "$var2" echo "$var3" echo "$var4" The result of executing this code is as follow 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4\n5 6... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdc2suxs
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate variables

I need to know how to concatenate variables in Debian. I am making a interactive script where it ask the user for info to add a user I pull the first letter from the first middle and last name into individual variables now i want to put them all in one variable so i can put it into useradd command ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HackerSeabass
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate Path name to a variable??

I have the path name in a Variable Ex: $XML_PATH_FLAG = /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders Now I have to pick up ALL XML files in this directory . In other words I have to pick up ALL the files /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders/F1.xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pete.kriya
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variables using awk and for loop for web form submission

Hi My goal is to fill an HTML form and submit. What I have managed to do: 1. curl command to fill up the form and submit 2. a file which has the input curl command: curl -v -b cookie.txt -d __CSRFToken__=dc23d5da47953b3b390ec68d972af10380908b14 -d do=create -d a=open -d... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies
PCP.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						       PCP.CONF(5)

NAME
pcp.conf - the Performance Co-Pilot configuration and environment file SYNOPSIS
/etc/pcp.conf DESCRIPTION
When using Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) tools and utilities and when calling PCP library functions, a standard set of environment variables are defined in /etc/pcp.conf. These variables are generally used to specify the location of various PCP pieces in the file system and may be loaded into shell scripts by sourcing the /etc/pcp.env(5) shell script and queried by C/C++ programs using the pmGetConfig(3) library function. If a variable is already defined in the environment, the values in pcp.conf do not override those values, i.e. the values in pcp.conf serve as installation defaults only. Both the pcp.env and pcp.conf files are expected to be found in /etc by default. If required, the pcp.conf file may be relocated and PCP_CONF set in the environment to specify the full path to the new location. The pcp.env file can not be relocated (this is the only hard coded path required by PCP). The syntax rules for pcp.conf are as follows : 1. the general syntax is PCP_VARIABLE_NAME=variable value to end of line 2. lines that begin with # and all blank lines are ignored. 3. all variables must be prefixed with PCP_. This is a security issue - variables that do not have this prefix will be silently ignored. 4. there should be no space between the variable name and the literal = and no space between the = and the variable value (unless the value actually starts with a space). This is required because the pcp.conf file may be sourced directly by Makefiles as well as inter- preted by the pcp.env script and the pmGetConfig function. 5. variable values may contain spaces and should not be quoted. The pcp.env script automatically quotes all variable values from the character immediately following the = through to the end of the line. For further details and an explanation of the use of each variable, see the comments in the /etc/pcp.conf file itself. ENVIRONMENT
The PCP_CONF environment variable specifies an alternative path to the pcp.conf file. SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), PCPIntro(3), PMAPI(3), pmGetConfig(3) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PCP.CONF(5)