Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Date Format not working in python script Post 302855541 by AReddy on Friday 20th of September 2013 08:52:31 AM
Old 09-20-2013
Date Format not working in python script

Good Morning,

I am working on a pyhton script, where it has to fetch a file from our vendor's server over an ftp.

The file is having a date format of "MMDDYYYY" (i have included in my python script), but when the script is executed it is unable to fetch the file.

At the same time, if i modify the script and include the actual date numericals (01012000) then it is picking up the file.

I tried with different date formats YYYYMMDD etc but no luck.

Can someone please help me on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for change date format script

Someone can help me write a script for change date fromat from "Feb 4 18:44:03 2009" to 2009020418 ? from "Mar 17 16:44:03 2009" to 2009031716 ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pccwtest
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format to mysql date format in log file

I have a comma delimited log file which has the date as MM/DD/YY in the 2nd column, and HH:MM:SS in the 3rd column. I need to change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD and merge it with the the time HH:MM:SS. How will I got about this? Sample input 02/27/09,23:52:31 02/27/09,23:52:52... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing from Excel date format to MySQL date format

I have a list of dates in the following format: mm/dd/yyyy and want to change these to the MySQL standard format: yyyy-mm-dd. The dates in the original file may or may not be zero padded, so April is sometimes "04" and other times simply "4". This is what I use to change the format: sed -i '' -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a user defined date value in the DATE format itself using shell script?

I need to increment a date value through shell script. Input value consist of start date and end date in DATE format of unix. For eg. I need increment a date value of 1/1/09 to 31/12/09 i.e for a whole yr. The output must look like 1/1/09 2/2/09 . . . 31/1/09 . . 1/2/09 . 28/2/09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunil087
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Date format script (in .sh)

Could anyone suggest me on how to write unix script for displaying yesterdays date ie. if today is 2nd Mar then when i run .sh script i should get displayed as "01-Mar-2010". (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in python to kill process by date

Hello everyone, First sorry for my english. I'm new in python and I want to create a script that allows the cleaning of a directory (/ tmp), files corresponds to a specific process according to the date. Steps: 1 - I have to find all processes of a program running, eg OpenOffice,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: doudoubens
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Python script not working in batch process

Good morning, I have a python 2.3 script that runs stand alone as intended when tested, then it was put into a ksh script. when running the ksh script it runs as intended. The problem is that my script does not run when the ksh script is called by another user who runs a batch process (as of right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhahe
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script to convert date to iso format

Hi , This is my 1st program in python never tried any python before. i am trying to write a python script which reads a .tsv file line by line and in each line it should look for mm/dd/yyyy formate and convert it to yyyy-mm-dd formate . can some one provide be some sample code to do that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename all Files in a UNIX Directory from one date format to another date format

Hi Unix Gurus, I would like to rename several files in a Unix Directory . The filenames can have more than 1 underscore ( _ ) and the last underscore is always followed by a date in the format mmddyyyy. The Extension of the files can be .txt or .pdf or .xls etc and is case insensitive ie... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
1 Replies

10. Programming

Python or Shell script to Grep strings from input file and output in csv format

Hi Experts, I am writing a python script to grep string from file and display output in csv file as in attached screenshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfUUdfmQma33tz65NskThYDhkZUGQO0H/view Input file(result_EPFT_config_device) Below is the python script i have prepared as of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies
PYTHON(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PYTHON(1)

NAME
python, pythonw -- an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language SYNOPSIS
python ... pythonw ... DESCRIPTION
To support multiple versions, the programs named python and pythonw now just select the real version of Python to run, depending on various settings. (As of Python 2.5, python and pythonw are interchangeable; both execute Python in the context of an application bundle, which means they have access to the Graphical User Interface; thus both can, when properly programmed, display windows, dialogs, etc.) The current supported versions are 2.6 and 2.7, with the default being 2.6. Use % man python2.6 % man python2.7 % man pythonw2.6 % man pythonw2.7 to see the man page for a specific version. Without a version specified, % man pydoc and the like, will show the man page for the (unmodified) default version of Python (2.6). To see the man page for a specific version, use, for example, % man pydoc2.7 CHANGING THE DEFAULT PYTHON
Using % defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Version 2.7 will make version 2.7 the user default when running the both the python and pythonw commands (versioner is the internal name of the version- selection software used). To set a system-wide default, replace 'com.apple.versioner.python' with '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python' (admin privileges will be required). The environment variable VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION can also be used to set the python and pythonw version: % export VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION=2.7 # Bourne-like shells or % setenv VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION 2.7 # C-like shells % python ... This environment variable takes precedence over the preference file settings. 64-BIT SUPPORT Versions 2.6 and 2.7 support 64-bit execution (which is on by default). Like the version of Python, the python command can select between 32 and 64-bit execution (when both are available). Use: % defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Prefer-32-Bit -bool yes to make 32-bit execution the user default (using '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python' will set the system-wide default). The environment variable VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT can also be used (has precedence over the preference file): % export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes # Bourne-like shells or % setenv VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT yes # C-like shells Again, the preference setting and environmental variable applies to both python and pythonw. USING A SPECIFIC VERSION
Rather than using the python command, one can use a specific version directly. For example, running python2.7 from the command line will run the 2.7 version of Python, independent of what the default version of Python is. One can use a specific version of Python on the #! line of a script, but that may have portability and future compatibility issues. Note that the preference files and environment variable that apply to the python command, do not apply when running a specific version of Python. In particular, running python2.6 will always default to 64-bit execution (unless one uses the arch(1) command to specifically select a 32-bit architecture). SEE ALSO
python2.6(1), python2.7(1), pythonw2.6(1), pythonw2.7(1), arch(1) BSD
Aug 10, 2008 BSD