Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripting for deleting logs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Scripting for deleting logs Post 302854783 by Rahulne25 on Wednesday 18th of September 2013 11:20:33 AM
Old 09-18-2013
Computer Scripting for deleting logs

Hi,
i wants to create the script for my linux server.

my system log files are getting huge frequently /root file system getting filled frequently.so wants to delete the logs when it crossed 1GB data on it.

Please help me how do i create the bash script..

i use solaris 10 OS...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting guru's pls help me with scripting on AIX

can someone pls help me with the script for a files coming from one system to a particular directory and i want to write a script to move those files to another directory on different system by renaming the files... pls someone help me on this... thanking in anticipation.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thatiprashant
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl Scripting for monitoring logs

Hi, I am new to perl. I want to write a perl script to monitor logs. Where i want to monitor exceptions logged or any kind of error strings. I have a dir(On Solaris) with multiple log file which keeps rolling to .gz file after some time in that same dir. These logs files size keeps on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solitare123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keeping only 6 logs and deleting the rest...

Hi Guys, I have folder where the logs are generated (which is quite a few). I want to keep the recent n logs and delete the rest of them.. I am able to sort them by using ls -t.. but how to take it forward.. Can you people help me.. Thanks for the help in advance, Regards,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific lines from text file via scripting

Hi, I'm trying to search for some number and from that line, i need to delete the 5th line exactly. Eg: Consider below as text file data: 10000 a b c d e . . . 10000 w q t (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting 3 days old logs from a directory

As i am working in unix environment so i have an logs that is created by my application at the following location that is /opt/app/glac/current/servers/ops/logs inside the logs directory there are different kinds of logs(that is the file having extension as .log ) have been created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2015nks
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c command] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t[=file]] [-V] [-h] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 util-linux