Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to print a particular character n number of times in a line?? Post 302853893 by Little on Monday 16th of September 2013 10:13:36 AM
Old 09-16-2013
How to print a particular character n number of times in a line??

hi,

Is it possible to print a particular character n number of times in a line?
for example.

i am print the following line using echo command..

Code:
echo "files successfully moved"

i want to count the number of characters that are been displayed. i am doin it using

Code:
echo "files successfully moved"
no=`echo "files successfully moved" | wc -c`

after this i want to put a "-" below just to underline the text printed. like

Code:
files successfully moved
-------------------------

so after counting the number of characters printed, i want to print that many number of "-" below the line. how can i do this? plz help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print a character many times

How can I print a '-' on the same line within awk, say 50 times, without actually typing '-' 50 times? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting the number of times a character appears

I am looking for a bash command that counts the number of times a character appears in a file. For example "I am a newbie, trying to learn shell script". Then the command counts the number of e and gives them as 4. Also I want one that counts the number of times a character in a string is replaced.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: #moveon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print selection of line based on line number

Hi Unix gurus Basically i am searching for the pattern and getting the line numbers of the grepped pattern. I am trying to print the series of lines from 7 lines before the grepped line number to the grepped line number. I am trying to use the following code. but it is not working. cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a word specific number of times

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is a shell command to print a word n number of times The Input File is : Cat 4 Bat 3 Zall 1 Kite 2 Output File required is : Cat Cat Cat Cat Bat Bat Bat Zall Kite (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tabbing a line a variable number of times in shell

Hi, I had another question. I was wondering if there was a way to tab a line a variable number of times in tcsh. To go into details, I want to tab a line by how deep a file is in its path. So here is an example code: set filea=/blah1/blah2/blah3 set fileb=/blah1/blah2/blah3/blah4 set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
4 Replies

7. Programming

Print line by character in C

Hello, I am reading the K & R C book, and trying to understand more about putchar()/getchar() by practice. Similar to the exercise 1-12, I want try to parse each line by character. Although there are many site about the exercise, but I could find similar case of mine, which is similar to fold... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline 8 times and if $3 = 8 when subtracted from 1st line,print

I have kind of a strange one here. I have a file of consecutive /24 ip blocks. If there are 8 consecutive ip blocks which represent a /20 then I need to print the first line. I played around and did not get the results I need, especially when considering that the highest $3 will be is 255 and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print String N times the number before it

Hey All, I want want to print a string N times the number N before it. Like i have "20 hello". so i want to print hello hello hello . . . . . 20 times.. Please help me.. I am not able o figure out.. how to do the same? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies
times(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)