Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange behaviour of arrays in awk Post 302852447 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 02:33:30 PM
Old 09-11-2013
That is standard awk behaviour, arrays are not declared. If you refer to a non-existing array element, it automatically creates it. It does not assign an empty value, but rather it creates an unitialized array element with an empty value.. To test the presence of an array element without creating it, you need the index in array expression.

As for the second part. No, not exactly because of the first condition, which makes that the second part gets executed for some of the lines in file1. Try:

Code:
FNR==NR { 
  if (/file1_l1/) code[$2] = 1
  next
}

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-11-2013 at 04:22 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there, first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown on a fedora machine. Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Strange login behaviour

Hi all, I am using HP-UX and I have just noticed that when I log into the network it seems to save the previous windows that were subsequently closed on previous occasions. Does anyone know when I log in, it seems to display these previous windows, e.g. nedit windows open again? Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange behaviour when output to terminal vs file (awk)

Hi all ! I noticed something very weird. I have a large pipe delimited file (20 fields/3,000 records) that looks like that: AAA|BBB|11111|22222|...|($NF of record 1) CCC|DDD|33333|44444|...|($NF of record 2) CCC|DDD|55555|66666|...|($NF of record 3) For the lines with same 1st and 2nd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Strange behaviour in AIX

Can someone please explain the strange behaviour.. I was just trying a few things to learn awk.. in the below code when I start the braces in the same line, the output is as expected, when I start at next line, output is displayed twice. Please see the file, code I tried and output below. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kulasekar
2 Replies
array(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  array(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
array - Manipulate array variables SYNOPSIS
array option arrayName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs one of several operations on the variable given by arrayName. Unless otherwise specified for individual commands below, arrayName must be the name of an existing array variable. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: array anymore arrayName searchId Returns 1 if there are any more elements left to be processed in an array search, 0 if all elements have already been returned. SearchId indicates which search on arrayName to check, and must have been the return value from a previous invocation of array startsearch. This option is particularly useful if an array has an element with an empty name, since the return value from array nextelement won't indicate whether the search has been completed. array donesearch arrayName searchId This command terminates an array search and destroys all the state associated with that search. SearchId indicates which search on arrayName to destroy, and must have been the return value from a previous invocation of array startsearch. Returns an empty string. array exists arrayName Returns 1 if arrayName is an array variable, 0 if there is no variable by that name or if it is a scalar variable. array get arrayName ?pattern? Returns a list containing pairs of elements. The first element in each pair is the name of an element in arrayName and the second element of each pair is the value of the array element. The order of the pairs is undefined. If pattern is not specified, then all of the elements of the array are included in the result. If pattern is specified, then only those elements whose names match pat- tern (using the matching rules of string match) are included. If arrayName isn't the name of an array variable, or if the array contains no elements, then an empty list is returned. array names arrayName ?pattern? Returns a list containing the names of all of the elements in the array that match pattern (using the matching rules of string match). If pattern is omitted then the command returns all of the element names in the array. If there are no (matching) elements in the array, or if arrayName isn't the name of an array variable, then an empty string is returned. array nextelement arrayName searchId Returns the name of the next element in arrayName, or an empty string if all elements of arrayName have already been returned in this search. The searchId argument identifies the search, and must have been the return value of an array startsearch command. Warning: if elements are added to or deleted from the array, then all searches are automatically terminated just as if array done- search had been invoked; this will cause array nextelement operations to fail for those searches. array set arrayName list Sets the values of one or more elements in arrayName. list must have a form like that returned by array get, consisting of an even number of elements. Each odd-numbered element in list is treated as an element name within arrayName, and the following element in list is used as a new value for that array element. If the variable arrayName does not already exist and list is empty, arrayName is created with an empty array value. array size arrayName Returns a decimal string giving the number of elements in the array. If arrayName isn't the name of an array then 0 is returned. array startsearch arrayName This command initializes an element-by-element search through the array given by arrayName, such that invocations of the array nex- telement command will return the names of the individual elements in the array. When the search has been completed, the array done- search command should be invoked. The return value is a search identifier that must be used in array nextelement and array done- search commands; it allows multiple searches to be underway simultaneously for the same array. | array unset arrayName ?pattern? | Unsets all of the elements in the array that match pattern (using the matching rules of string match). If arrayName isn't the name | of an array variable or there are no matching elements in the array, then an empty string is returned. If pattern is omitted and is | it an array variable, then the command unsets the entire array. KEYWORDS
array, element names, search Tcl 8.3 array(n)