Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Chunks of bash shell programming Post 302852405 by verdepollo on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 01:10:33 PM
Old 09-11-2013
This looks almost like homework so I'm not gonna go into much details. If you have any specific questions post them back here.

1. Expand the variable "DEBUG" *if, and only if* it's already defined, else use zero.
2. Print the contents of the first script argument.
3. Defines a function that checks if a file does not exist. "tee" is a specific purpose command; Take a look at the man page (man tee).
4. Defines another function that checks if the contents of $DEBUG aren't equal to 1 (numeric value, not string).
5. String assignment.
6. "-z" is a comparison operator used to tell if string has zero length.

In all cases the syntax ${var} is used to "protect" the variables. E.g:
Code:
var1="asdf"
echo "${var1}2"
echo "$var12"

One of the above "echo" statements will work fine and the other will throw an error. Try it for yourself to find out which one fails and why. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Programming in ksh and not in bash

Hi all.... I was wondering if there is a lot of differences between /bash and ksh programming. Im learning about bash programming, but all what I had read in this forum, points me to learn more about ksh over bash. Is that right and why? Unfortunately, I can’t write ksh progs on my work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help bash programming

how to i grep a keyword which ignore upper case or lower case. for an example : user enter CoUcH and the grep also can grep couch which in text.txt although upper or loever case is different .. how to do that ? any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with date command in bash shell programming

Doubt #1 I have a program that I want the user to input date. When the user inputs the date, is it able to format it to system date dd-mm-yyy and then echo the value into a text file? Doubt#2 If the above is not going to work, I tried to have the system date appear in the user input field and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frossie
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Programming

Write a Shell script to analyse the disk usage of students in a particular class. The program should allow the user running the script to input the particular class name (group name) as an argument to the script. The script should create a file called “logfile” in the home directory of the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bumdeal2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash programming

how do you allow a user to input a particular group name as an argument?? thnx for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bumdeal2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use a shell script for deleting chunks from a watch folder?

Hello I have a unique problem of needing to delete large files slowly off of an XSan. I was wondering if there is a script I could use to delete 100gb chunks of files and folders that get placed in to a watch folder, slowly so as not to disrupt the other users. I would like to use Automator in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajsoto
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash programming help

Hello all; I have little knowledge of bash programming, and I was wondering if you could help me out. I would like to create a bash script, as detailed below. process.sh is the bash script itself list.dl is a text file. In this text file, the first line is the directory from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tehalexf
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash Shell Programming assignment.

Please take a look I am stuck on step 4 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: #!/bin/bash ### ULI101 - ASSIGNMENT #2 (PART A) - DUE DATE Wed, Aug 3, 2011, before 12 midnight. ###==================================================================================== ###... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: almirzaee
13 Replies

10. Linux

Bash Programming. Could anyone help me?

Hi! I'm new in bash programming and I need to make an script that reads a txt file line by line (every line is like "Name;FirstLastName;SecondLastName;Sex") and has to give every student 3 random marks, its average and add a counter if they are male/female and if they passed. I've been trying with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HeartHacker
4 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD