Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find unique lines based off of bytes Post 302852313 by disedorgue on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 08:07:11 AM
Old 09-11-2013
Hi,
Awk command will better, but you can try:
Code:
$ cat comp.txt 
+_id34,brown,car,2006
+_id1,blue,train,1985
+_id73,white,speed_boat,1990
-_id34,brown,car,2006
-_id72,white,plane,2010
-_id73,white,speed_boat,1990

Code:
$ sed 's/[+-]_\([^,]*,\).*/\1/' comp.txt | sort | uniq -u | grep  -f - comp.txt 
+_id1,blue,train,1985
-_id72,white,plane,2010

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : extracting unique lines based on columns

Hi, snp.txt CHR_A SNP_A BP_A_st BP_A_End CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 p-SNP_A p-SNP_B 5 rs1988728 74904317 74904318 5 74960646 rs1427924 0.377333 0.000740085 0.013930081 5 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing file based on characters/bytes

I have a datafile that is formatted as fixed. I know that each line should contain 880 characters. I want to separate the file into 2 files, one that has lines with 880 characters and the other file with everything else. Is this possible ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheeko111
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 files and return unique lines in each file (based on condition)

hi my problem is little complicated one. i have 2 files which appear like this file 1 abbsss:aa:22:34:as akl abc 1234 mkilll:as:ss:23:qs asc abc 0987 mlopii:cd:wq:24:as asd abc 7866 file2 lkoaa:as:24:32:sa alk abc 3245 lkmo:as:34:43:qs qsa abc 0987 kloia:ds:45:56:sa acq abc 7805 i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and count unique date values in a file based on position

Hello, I need some sort of way to extract every date contained in a file, and count how many of those dates there are. Here are the specifics: The date format I'm looking for is mm/dd/yyyy I only need to look after line 45 in the file (that's where the data begins) The columns of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronan1219
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose lines from individual blocks to unique lines

Hello to all, happy new year 2013! May somebody could help me, is about a very similar problem to the problem I've posted here where the member rdrtx1 and bipinajith helped me a lot. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/211147-map-values-blocks-single-line-2.html It is very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on column in file1, find match in file2 and print matching lines

file1: file2: I need to find matches for any lines in file1 that appear in file2. Desired output is '>' plus the file1 term, followed by the line after the match in file2 (so the title is a little misleading): This is honestly beyond what I can do without spending the whole night on it, so I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print lines based upon unique values in Nth field

For some reason I am having difficulty performing what should be a fairly easy task. I would like to print lines of a file that have a unique value in the first field. For example, I have a large data-set with the following excerpt: PS003,001 MZMWR/ L-DWD// * PS003,001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
4 Replies
VP(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     VP(4)

NAME
vp - Versatec printer-plotter DESCRIPTION
Vp0 is the interface to a Versatec D1200A printer-plotter with a Versatec C-PDP11(DMA) controller. Ordinarily bytes written on it are interpreted as ASCII characters and printed. As a printer, it writes 64 lines of 132 characters each on 11 by 8.5 inch paper. Only some of the ASCII control characters are interpreted. NL performs the usual new-line function, i.e. spaces up the paper and resets to the left margin. It is ignored however following a CR which ends a non-empty line. CR is ignored if the current line is empty but is otherwise like NL. FF resets to the left margin and then to the top of the next page. EOT resets to the left margin, advances 8 inches, and then performs a FF. The ioctl(2) system call may be used to change the mode of the device. Only the first word of the 3-word argument structure is used. The bits mean: 0400 Enter simultaneous print/plot mode. 0200 Enter plot mode. 0100 Enter print mode (default on open). 040 Send remote terminate. 020 Send remote form-feed. 010 Send remote EOT. 04 Send remote clear. 02 Send remote reset. On open a reset, clear, and form-feed are performed automatically. Notice that the mode bits are not encoded, so that it is required that exactly one be set. In plot mode each byte is interpreted as 8 bits of which the high-order is plotted to the left; a `1' leaves a visible dot. A full line of dots is produced by 264 bytes; lines are terminated only by count or by a remote terminate function. There are 200 dots per inch both ver- tically and horizontally. When simultaneous print-plot mode is entered exactly one line of characters, terminated by NL, CR, or the remote terminate function, should be written. Then the device enters plot mode and at least 20 lines of plotting bytes should be sent. As the line of characters (which is 20 dots high) is printed, the plotting bytes overlay the characters. Notice that it is impossible to print characters on baselines that differ by fewer than 20 dot-lines. In print mode lines may be terminated either with an appropriate ASCII character or by using the remote terminate function. FILES
/dev/vp0 SEE ALSO
opr(1) VP(4)