Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing command as a function parameter Post 302852297 by eo29 on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 07:20:08 AM
Old 09-11-2013
Hi Bartus11,

Many Thanks on your assistance on this issue, that worked fine.

Kind Regards

Ed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a string parameter to a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parameter passing in a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Parameter in SED command

Hi, I am trying to replace a URL by another URL in the SED command e.g. cat dir/filename1 | sed -e 's/"http:\/\/*dtd"/"http:\/\/abc.def.com\/xyz.dtd"/' > dir/newfile.xml But I need to pass a parameter to the SED command which should have the new url string i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AT command parameter passing to php file

I have a bash script which utilizes a random function and then runs a file at now plus a random time. The problem is, that the php file requires a parameter after it eg: phpfile.php?code=123245b3 When i put in the file including the full path, with the at command, it will run, but not with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thruxmore
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command as a function parameter

Hi guys, can someome help with this question, I have defined a function that takes a command as a parameter, but when the command is executed from the function it will throw errors because what I believe is a special character escaping issue. I tried using the backslash to escape the pipe | and >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marouanix
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing date parameter on Kshell command line

I need to execute a .ksh from command line. The ksh calls a control file and has 3 parameters. First parameter is a csv file, second the target table in oracle and third parameter is a date parameter. I am attempting the below from the ksh command line {code} => testfile.ksh filname.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kobe24
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a Unix parameter to SQLPlus login command

hi All, i m trying to pass a user choice paramter from unix to sqlplus connect command here i want the user to enter the username and password he wants to connect in sql plus through read in unix and then automatically connect to that instance. sqlplus -s $1/$2 where $ 1 and $2 will b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing sql as parameter to unix function

Hi, I have a function which connects to the db and runs the sql. it works fine when I run it like: function "select empname from emp;" but when I try to pass the sql string to a variable which in turn in fed to the function , it throws error. please advise. Thanks, Arnie. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsarnie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I need to create a SQL statement using Unix script for each value in first field (ID). The file looks like this. Id,TARGET_FIELD_NAME,SOURCE_FIELD_NAME 1,Test_Rate,Field1 1,Test_Factor,Field2 1,Test_Size,Field3 2,Test_Rate,Field4 2,Test_Factor,Field5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranredz
3 Replies

10. Programming

Parameter passing to function with void * as Argument

Earlier I had one structure C typedef struct c { int cc; }CS; I used to call a library function say int GetData(CS *x) which was returning me the above structure C with data. GetData(CS *x) Function call used to be like: CS CSobj; GetData(&CSObj); Now there are two... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
12 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)