Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Grub 1.99 alters BIOS (confirmed after formatting hard disk) Post 302852041 by Corona688 on Tuesday 10th of September 2013 11:10:36 AM
Old 09-10-2013
Linux will not reformat your BIOS.

UEFI may go bananas of its own volition, however.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Formatting hard drive from Unix to Windows

Can a hard drive be formatted from unix server to windows 2000 professional? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: howarddtp
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris GRUB troubled with dual hard disks

I have the following system: - DELL Dimension 8300 - Pentium IV @ 2.66GHz - BIOS Revision A07 - 1.5GB RAM - 2 Hard Disks (Master 120GB, Slave 80GB), I guess it's IDE I had WinXP on the master disk (hd0) and recently installed Solaris 10 1/06 on the slave disk (hd1). The NTLDR is in MBR... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hawk
0 Replies

3. Solaris

formatting hard drive (scrubbing)

I'm in the process of scrubbing a tonne of hard drives. Having a few problems with my formatting. I've been following http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0600/scrub.pdf however on the steps of #format> format Ready to format. Formatting cannot be interrupted and takes 100 minutes (estimated).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamiee
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wrong BIOS IDE Settings on a SATA disk (AHCI)?

Hello, I wanted to share an experience I had today which was quite a learning experience and perhaps useful for others who may run into the issue at some point in the future. Basically, the scenario involves a OS which was installed on a machine which hardware-wise, had a SATA Drive. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: septima.pars
0 Replies

5. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

6. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

7. Solaris

Changed disk controller -> drops into GRUB?!

I changed disk controller. Unplugged every disk, inserted another controller card, an IBM M1015. The disks are recognized in BIOS, and the controller card's BIOS shows up. But after that, I drop into GRUB and a prompt. That is all. How shall I solve this problem? I am thinking of booting from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load debian using grub

pls help me how to load debian again after un-TARing the debian backup on a newly formated Hard Disk (ext3) am using DEBIAN LENNY 64 bit. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
4 Replies

9. Linux

Grub not loading from replaced disk

Hi, a little while ago, one of the GPT Partitioned hard disk had gone faulty in a Mirror RAID and is now successfully replaced. here is how I did that. 1) created identical partition table on the new disk. 2) attached the mirrors using md commands. The whole procedure is given below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to recover x86 Solaris 10 u10 boot record/grub menu overwritten by Debian 9?

I installed x86 Solaris 10 update 10 after Windows XP, later I removed xp and installed Debian 9 stretch on the same partition but, Debian couldn't find any other os so it deleted Solaris 10 grub or did something like that I couldn't got. I thought I would be able to recover the lost record by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies
NVRAM(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  NVRAM(4)

NAME
nvram -- non-volatile RAM SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device nvram Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): nvram_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The nvram driver provides access to BIOS configuration NVRAM on i386 and amd64 systems. PC motherboard uses a small non-volatile memory to store BIOS settings which is usually part of its clock chip and sometimes referred as ``CMOS SRAM''. This driver exposes bytes 14 through 128 of the NVRAM, or a total of 114 bytes, at offset zero of the device file /dev/nvram. This driver is useful for cloning machines that shares the same hardware configuration and need same BIOS setting tweaks. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The BIOS NVRAM's bytes 16 through 31 are checksummed at byte 32. This driver does not take care for these checksums. EXAMPLES
Backup existing BIOS NVRAM to nvram.bin: dd if=/dev/nvram of=nvram.bin Restore BIOS NVRAM from nvram.bin: dd if=nvram.bin of=/dev/nvram SEE ALSO
dd(1) HISTORY
The nvram device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 6.4. AUTHORS
The nvram device driver was written by Peter Wemm. This manual page was written by Xin LI. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD