Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Really need some help with Parsing files by date Post 302851795 by jim mcnamara on Monday 9th of September 2013 04:38:42 PM
Old 09-09-2013
A script that has exactly what you asked for - to paraphrase Oscar Wilde - the greatest unhappiness comes from getting what you asked for.

This makes no assumptions about anything, it uses remote site file times. And jgt is correct, if something does not remove files over there, you will suck 'em in again and again.

Create a file .netrc in your (or the user who does this) home directory. permissions 700.
Code:
machine remotehostname user ftpusername password ftpusrnamepassword

shell script, change /bin/ksh to the system's shell.
Code:
#/bin/ksh

ftp remotenode <<EOF | awk '{print $6 "-" $7 "-" $8, $(NF)}' > t.txt
dir
bye
EOF

# change remotenode to the correct name of the ftp server, in 2 places
# echo files older than today; dynmically build a script to run
echo 'ftp remotenode <<EOF ' > tmp.shl
today=$(date '+%b-%d-%Y')
awk -v t=$today ' $1==t {next} {print "get",  $2}' t.txt >> tmp.shl
echo 'bye' >> tmp.shl
echo 'EOF' >> tmp.shl
chmod +x tmp.shl
# run dynmaic script
./tmp.shl

Stuff in red changes
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a system log file via the 'date' command

Hello, I'm trying to update some scripts here that parse our system logs daily. They report information just fine... but they just report too much info. Specifically, if there's been some failed login attempts on several different days (say Monday and Tuesday), when I get the report from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjones
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date parsing into string, help!

I have a file that was created yesterday that I want to access... daily.log2008-02-16 I am using... curr_time=`date +"%Y %m %d"` yesterday=`./datecalc.ksh -a $curr_time - 1` the value for yesterday is now "2008 2 16" in ksh, how do I transform the string "2008 2 16" into "2008-02-16" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martyb555
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files by date and moving files in date order

I need to build a k shell script that will sort files in a directory where files appear like this "XXXX_2008021213.DAT. I need to sort by date in the filename and then move files by individual date to a working folder. concatenate the files in the working folder then start a process once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebel64
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing Date to a file name

Hi All There is a file "apple_2008-08-15.log". I have to use grep on this file to collect my test log. There are 45 such files. Is there a command that I can use to dynamically substitute the daily date as part of the file name? As of now Iam renaming the file to the new date and running my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pk_eee
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing multi-date text file

Hi all: Trying to parse a log file of rsync activity to get the amount of date being transferred. The log file contains multiple dates and what I am trying to do is get the file sizes for the current date. What I have been trying to do is pipe it through awk but I am having trouble retrieving... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Log File Based on Date & Error

I'm still up trying to figure this out and it is driving me nuts. I have a log file which has a basic format of this... 2010-10-10 22:25:42 Init block 'UA Deployment Date': Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed. The ODBC function has returned an error. The database... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the date output

Hi fellows, I need to define a notification for SSL certificate expiration. My Command output is below: (this is the "Expiration Date") Tue Mar 15 09:30:01 2012 So, at 15th Feb (1 month before the expiration), a notification has to be triggered by a script or sth else. How can i set an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX ... Date parsing

Hi ... extremely new to Unix scripting ... I have to get a date field from mm/dd/yyyy to yyyy/mm/dd format ... I have a variable that I want parsed. I don't seem to be doing it right?? Thanks. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJKeeble
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files that are not first two files date & last file date for every month-year?

Hi All, I need to find all files other than first two files dates & last file date for month and month/year wise list. lets say there are following files in directory Mar 19 2012 c.txt Mar 19 2012 cc.txt Mar 21 2012 d.txt Mar 22 2012 f.txt Mar 24 2012 h.txt Mar 25 2012 w.txt Feb 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
CHAGE(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          CHAGE(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
The chage command changes the number of days between password changes and the date of the last password change. This information is used by the system to determine when a user must change his/her password. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chage command are: -d, --lastday LAST_DAY Set the number of days since January 1st, 1970 when the password was last changed. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). -E, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE Set the date or number of days since January 1, 1970 on which the user's account will no longer be accessible. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the EXPIRE_DATE will remove an account expiration date. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -I, --inactive INACTIVE Set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. The INACTIVE option is the number of days of inactivity. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the INACTIVE will remove an account's inactivity. -l, --list Show account aging information. -m, --mindays MIN_DAYS Set the minimum number of days between password changes to MIN_DAYS. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change his/her password at any time. -M, --maxdays MAX_DAYS Set the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When MAX_DAYS plus LAST_DAY is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his/her password before being able to use his/her account. This occurrence can be planned for in advance by use of the -W option, which provides the user with advance warning. Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -W, --warndays WARN_DAYS Set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The WARN_DAYS option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned his/her password is about to expire. If none of the options are selected, chage operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The chage program requires a shadow password file to be available. The chage command is restricted to the root user, except for the -l option, which may be used by an unprivileged user to determine when his/her password or account is due to expire. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The chage command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 permission denied 2 invalid command syntax 15 can't find the shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHAGE(1)