Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regex matching with grep -l
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Regex matching with grep -l Post 302851769 by newbie2010 on Monday 9th of September 2013 03:27:23 PM
Old 09-09-2013
Regex matching with grep -l

I am trying to find patterns in files using grep -l -e. I specifically am searching for abc. I want any file that has abc in it, but not just the letters abc. I am searching for a pattern a followed by b followed by c. I have tried egrep -l and also I have tried the following:

Code:
grep -el '\(abc\)\$'

This will return abc but if there are more characters it will return those too.

I have patterns such as the following
Code:
abc_vol12
abc_vol13
abc_vol15

in with other patterns and I want only these to be selected (found). In addition I was trying to find out how to negate the search. Not sure if grep is the right tool for this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

REGEX: Matching Null?

I'm using the URL Regex feature of Squid for allowing sites via a list of regex strings to match allowed domains. The regex was actually copied from our previous proxy solution and it seemed to "just work". But, we've recently discovered that some domains (likely due to virtual hosts or host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regex help - matching parentheses

Let's say I'm trying to match potentially multiple sets of parentheses. Is there a way in a regular expression to force a match of closing parentheses specifically in the number of the opening parentheses? For example, if the string is "((foo bar))", I want to be able to say "match any number of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvp
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only matching regex

Hi folks, Lets say I have the following text file: name, lastname, 1234, name.lastname@test.com name1, lastname1, name2.lastname2@test.com, 2345 name, 3456, lastname, name3.lastname3@test.com 4567, name, lastname, name4.lastname4@test.com I now need the following output: 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching using Regex inside a file

I need scan through some files, then open the file one by one and scan inside the file using perl to see if it contain a start tag and end tag which the end tag is the mirror image of the start tag, the start tag and end tag only have 5 char. And inside the file there is "http://". It is just a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueblur
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Regex, string matching

Hi, I've a logfile which i need to parse and get the logs depending upon the user input. here, i'm providing an option to enter the string which can be matched with the log entries. e.g. one of the logfile entry reads like this - $str = " mpgw(BLUESOAPFramework):... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a regex using egrep not working

Hi, I'm trying to validate if a string matches a regular expression, but it is not working. Am I missing something? Do I need to scape any of the characters? if echo 'en-GB' | egrep '({1,8})(-{1,8})*' >/dev/null; then echo Valid value fi Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrtxao
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Pattern repitition regex matching

Fairly straightforward, but I'm having an awful time getting what I thought was a simple regex to work. I'll give the command I was playing with, and I'm aware why this one doesn't work (the 1,3 is off the A-Z, not the whole expression), I just don't know what the fix is: Actual Output(s): $... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk print all fields except matching regex

grep -v will exclude matching lines, but I want something that will print all lines but exclude a matching field. The pattern that I want excluded is '/mnt/svn' If there is a better solution than awk I am happy to hear about it, but I would like to see this done in awk as well. I know I can... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex matching column awk

Hi all, I want to extract rows with the pattern ALPHANUMERIC/ALPHANUMNERIC in the 2nd column. I dont wan rows with more than 1 slash or without any slash in 2nd column. a a/b b a/b/c c a/b//c d t/y e r f /f I came up with the regex grep '\/$' file a a/b b a/b/c d t/y (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD