Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Nofiles & nproc change on RHEL not taking effect Post 302851735 by rsheikh01 on Monday 9th of September 2013 02:46:08 PM
Old 09-09-2013
Nofiles & nproc

Thank you for the answer and your time, I am indeed using ssh to access. I have no way to access the terminal directly...so now further will try to find out how to find if priv separation is indeed enabled and how to disable it. I did run the couple of cmds listed in the bug track:
Code:
ulimit -H -u = 35000 & ulimit -S -u 1024

were my outcomes.

TY again.

---------- Post updated at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:36 PM ----------

Did find /etc/ssh and sshd_config in there, the priv line is commented out...what does that mean?
Code:
#UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

I am afraid this where my any adv knowledge ends and do not want to mess things...if any could suggest what else to check...I would be grateful.

One question I did not ask, normally does one need to reboot server after limits.conf change? I read that it is not needed (RHEL 6.1/6.2)? That change is effective immediately.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

RHEL 3 - how to change the SNMP community strings?

I have edited the snmpd.conf file on RHEL3, I changed: com2sec notConfigUser default public to : com2sec notConfigUser default new_string_name BUT, when my security guy scans the box, is still answers to public, I restarted snmpd. Is there more to this than just changing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Installing Updates on RHEL 3 & 4

Is there another way to install updates on RHEL besides using the up2date utility? I have some systems that are not accessible to the internet. So, when I look for the updates that are supposed to be for my system, i dont even know where to go to download them? it just keeps bringing me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Solaris

effect of change of mpd preferred path settings

Hello All, In the output of the command "mpdcontrol -no xlist", I found that, some of the preferred paths are marked as "err". You can see the output below: # mpdcontrol -noxlist Unit Dev# MPD_ID/Policy DeviceName FC_AL DevMajMin IOcnt State... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar3350
0 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

virtualization in RHEL 5.3 & Centos 5.3

Hi I would like to know how to do virtualization in Rhel 5.3 and Cent os 5.3, As i am new this Virtualization need guidence how to install and configure guest os in Rhel and Cent Os can some one guide me step by step Regards Solaris8in (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHEL 6 plain telnet & ftp servers

I am being pushed from AIX onto RHEL 6 and after our first 'chuck it on' install, I have a problem. Where is the old (okay insecure) telnet & ftp server? I know that they are probably regarded as archaic now, but the source servers do not have the SSH tools, so I've got to somehow transfer the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Right way to change time for a RHEL server

I had the query of what would be the right approach to change the time on the RHEL server. I have the following ways to do that: 1) # date -s "2 OCT 2006 18:00:00" Or # date --set="2 OCT 2006 18:00:00" 2) # date +%Y%m%d -s "20081128" The second option though would only change... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change partition name in rhel

Can I change the filesystem in redhat w/o reformating it? For example /dev/sda2 145G 188M 137G 1% /uo1 /dev/sdb1 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo2 /dev/sdb2 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo3 uo1, uo2, uo3 shuld be u01, u02, u03. No one is using the server yet. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i change the ip address in RHEL 6?

I need to change the ip address in RHEL 6 . Please tell me the files to be edited....complete procedure.......... Don't tell the graphical method ........ Explain everything in CLI ........... Thanks in Advance:b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies
PRLIMIT(1)							   User Commands							PRLIMIT(1)

NAME
prlimit - get and set process resource limits SYNOPSIS
prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] [--pid PID] prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
Given a process ID and one or more resources, prlimit tries to retrieve and/or modify the limits. When command is given, prlimit will run this command with the given arguments. The limits parameter is composed of a soft and a hard value, separated by a colon (:), in order to modify the existing values. If no lim- its are given, prlimit will display the current values. If one of the values is not given, then the existing one will be used. To specify the unlimited or infinity limit (RLIM_INFINITY), the -1 or 'unlimited' string can be passed. Because of the nature of limits, the soft limit must be lower or equal to the high limit (also called the ceiling). To see all available resource limits, refer to the RESOURCE OPTIONS section. soft:hard Specify both limits. soft: Specify only the soft limit. :hard Specify only the hard limit. value Specify both limits to the same value. GENERAL OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. -p, --pid Specify the process id; if none is given, the running process will be used. --raw Use the raw output format. --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RESOURCE OPTIONS
-c, --core[=limits] Maximum size of a core file. -d, --data[=limits] Maximum data size. -e, --nice[=limits] Maximum nice priority allowed to raise. -f, --fsize[=limits] Maximum file size. -i, --sigpending[=limits] Maximum number of pending signals. -l, --memlock[=limits] Maximum locked-in-memory address space. -m, --rss[=limits] Maximum Resident Set Size (RSS). -n, --nofile[=limits] Maximum number of open files. -q, --msgqueue[=limits] Maximum number of bytes in POSIX message queues. -r, --rtprio[=limits] Maximum real-time priority. -s, --stack[=limits] Maximum size of the stack. -t, --cpu[=limits] CPU time, in seconds. -u, --nproc[=limits] Maximum number of processes. -v, --as[=limits] Address space limit. -x, --locks[=limits] Maximum number of file locks held. -y, --rttime[=limits] Timeout for real-time tasks. EXAMPLES
prlimit --pid 13134 Display limit values for all current resources. prlimit --pid 13134 --rss --nofile=1024:4095 Display the limits of the RSS, and set the soft and hard limits for the number of open files to 1024 and 4095, respectively. prlimit --pid 13134 --nproc=512: Modify only the soft limit for the number of processes. prlimit --pid $$ --nproc=unlimited Set for the current process both the soft and ceiling values for the number of processes to unlimited. prlimit --cpu=10 sort -u hugefile Set both the soft and hard CPU time limit to ten seconds and run 'sort'. SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), prlimit(2) NOTES
The prlimit system call is supported since Linux 2.6.36, older kernels will break this program. AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> - In memory of Dennis M. Ritchie. AVAILABILITY
The prlimit command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 PRLIMIT(1)