Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Control characters -weird problem Post 302851717 by kumarjt on Monday 9th of September 2013 01:49:10 PM
Old 09-09-2013
Control characters -weird problem

I am using Korn shell on Linux 2.6x platform , and I am suing the following code to capture the lines which contain CONTROL CHARACTERS in my file :
Code:
awk '/[[:cntrl:]]/ {print NR}' EROLLMENT_INPUT.txt

The problem is that this code shows the file has control characters when the file is in folder A , but if I move this file to my home folder (/
home/user1) , and execute the same command , it doesnt show any control character presence in the same file .

Is this possible ???? Its the same file , and the same code peice as well, how could the outcomes differ ?

Please help.

Regards
Kumarjit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of all the weird characters and color on bash shell

Does anyone of you know how to turn off color and weird characters on bash shell when using the command "script"? Everytime users on my server used that command to record their script, they either couldn't print it because lp kept giving the "unknown format character" messages or the print paper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Ascii characters in file names

Hi. I have files in my OS that has weird file names with not-conventional ascii characters. I would like to run them but I can't refer them. I know the ascii # of the problematic characters. I can't change their name since it belongs to a 3rd party program... but I want to run it. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat / sed process weird characters

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a shell script that process a log file. The log format is generally: (8 digit hex of unix time),(system ID),(state)\n My shell script gets the file from the web, saves it in a local text directory. I then want to change the hex to decimal, convert from unix time... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bencpeters
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird ^M characters is disturbing the paste command

Dear all, I have the files: xaa xab xac and I try to paste them using $paste -d, xaa xab xac I see: output 3e-130 ,6e-78 ,5e-74 6e-124 ,0,007 ,0,026 2e-119 When I type: $ paste -d, xaa xab xac |less I see: output 3e-130^M,6e-78^M,5e-74 6e-124^M,0,007^M,0,026 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Hallo Team, I am trying to get rid of the dollar sign. I managed to remove all the other special characters but i am struggling with this one. -bash-3.2$ cat -e missing_revenue_20141112.csv|less|head BW0522168531211141180935668@196.23.110.141$ BW092218784121114-370120610@196.23.110.141$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out the weird blank characters?

I have a text file downloaded from the web, I want to count the unique words used in the file, and a person's speaking length during conversation by counting the words between the opening and closing quotation marks which differ from the standard ASCII code. Also I found out the file contains some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD