Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Automation of AIX LPARs reboot Post 302851455 by bakunin on Monday 9th of September 2013 04:01:33 AM
Old 09-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by System Admin 77
but we had some kind of request/proposal to automate the maintenance/IPL every 3 months to free up the cache/buffer. so that it will improve performance.
If this is about OS buffers/cache it is absolute nonsense. In fact it will not improve but hurt performance. Whatever is in the OS' buffers (the biggest of them being the file cache) is there because it is needed often. The system "learns" which data is needed more often and which is needed only rarely. Rebooting destroys this (meta-)information and the learning process starts from point zero.

I have a suspicion about how this came: someone noticed that after rebooting the system the "fre" counter in vmstat is higher than in a long-running system. So there must be more free memory, right? No! When a system starts up it loads all the programs and then (i presume the system being well tuned) some memory is left over, which would be dedicated mainly to the disk cache. But as the system doesn't know what to cache it simply makes no sense to fill up this memory with anything. This is why "fre" is so high: the memory is not "free", but "unused". Once the system starts to process data, it dedicates the unused memory to caching these. Things oftenly needed will stay in the cache while things needed only once will get thrown out eventually, as other data are loaded. This way, as a "usage pattern" develops, the cache becomes more and more effective, because it holds the things most oftenly needed. This is what i meant with "the system learning" above. A reboot destroys this and starts this "learning" process anew.

By the way: it is really easy to make the "fre" memory counter go up: (mis-)tune the maxperm and minperm to really idiotic values so that the filecache is very small even if there is lots of memory available. Performance wil suffer greatly, but the "fre" counter will go up.

By and large a reboot is only needed for one purpose in a Unix system: to load a new kernel image! If you didn't change anything on your kernel you DO NOT HAVE TO REBOOT! Sometimes a reboot is used by sysadmins to bring the system back into a defined state ("reboot .... is good", as a proverbial bad rhyme goes). Whatever might have run on the system, now it is either gone or we can watch it as it develops. But to "reboot to improve performance" is absolute nonsense, in fact it will rather hurt performance.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Is fsck executed during reboot for AIX?

Dear Gurus, I would like to know if fsck is executed automatically during reboot for AIX? Is there any logs which I can refer to? or any documentation reference for this? Thank You. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cteoh88
2 Replies

2. AIX

If the AIX need reboot after install fix pack or APAR?

After install fix pack or APAR, if aix need reboot? if not, do we need stop database and all applications before we install fix pack or APAR? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with restarting of application with reboot of AIX server

Hi, We have hosted our application on AIX server. The problem is that we have to start our application manually once the server is rebooted. Please guide me in writing a script that does this job automatically with the re-start of the server. I'm looking for something like windows services in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu397
2 Replies

4. AIX

Finding Root cause of AIX server reboot itself

Hi, please explain that how to find the rootcause of aix servers reboot itself. Which log or commands should be used to analyse the reboot incident? Please explain in detail. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberkingjk
3 Replies

5. AIX

Post mortem for critical Production AIX System Reboot/Crash

Hello All, Critical AIX production box crashed/rebooted while our team is working on it and we need to generate a detailed report for that, below are few questions that need to be included in the report. (We are System Administration team and everyone in our team has root access via sudo as well... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
3 Replies

6. AIX

Creating LPARS in AIX

Hi, I have a p520 with 2 cpus and 10gb of ram.Is it sufficient enough to create 2 lpars.What other things we have to check. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar52
2 Replies

7. AIX

Loading AIX kernel extensions on reboot

Greetings, Does anyone know how to load AIX kernel extensions on reboot? I know that Oracle loads it's postwait kernel extension via a executable in /etc/inittab. I'm assuming this executable calls the "sysconfig" system call and loads it. What if I wrote my own? What is the proper way in AIX to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbleistein
3 Replies

8. AIX

Is it must to enable TCB on AIX LPARs ?

Hi, I've verified my AIX 7.1 LPAR , and TCB is disabled by default. #odmget -q attribute=TCB_STATE PdAt PdAt: uniquetype = "" attribute = "TCB_STATE" deflt = "tcb_disabled" values = "" width = "" type = "" generic = "" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
3 Replies

9. AIX

How can we re-mount the RAM disk automatically after the reboot on AIX?

Hi All, I was trying to know more about RAM disk concept in AIX. I found something on IBM site. I was able to create and use/delete RAM disk as per IBM instructions. But as you guys know, this RAM disk is a temporary storage. (*when ever we reboot the AIX LPAR, content/RAM disk will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies

10. AIX

Changing VLAN on AIX lpars in the same subnet

Hi Guys, Our lpars is currently running on 2 different vlans (20, 30). Now we have a requirement that vlan 30 needs to be change to vlan 31 at the same subnet. I'm not sure on what is the best approach for this or what change is involve on the AIX side. This is our setup. Network switch -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaelu26
5 Replies
reboot(2)							System Calls Manual							 reboot(2)

NAME
reboot - Reboots system or halts processor SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/reboot.h> void reboot( int howto ); PARAMETERS
Specifies a mask of options. DESCRIPTION
The reboot() function restarts the system. The startup is automatic and brings up /vmunix in the normal, nonmaintenance mode. The calling process must have superuser privilege to run this function successfully. However, a reboot is invoked automatically in the event of unre- coverable system failures. The following options, defined in the sys/reboot.h include file are passed to the new kernel or the new bootstrap and init programs. They are supplied as values to the howto parameter. The default, causing the system to reboot in its usual fashion. Dump kernel memory before rebooting; see the savecore command for more information. The processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place. The disks are not sync'd before the processor is halted or rebooted. Normally, the disks are sync'd (see the sync() command) before the processor is halted or rebooted. Because the disks are not sync'd with the RB_NOSYNC option, loss of data may result from using it. When no options are given (that is, RB_AUTOBOOT is used), the system is rebooted from file vmunix in the root file system of unit 0 (zero) of a disk chosen in a processor-specific way. (see the fsck command). RETURN VALUES
If successful, this call does not return. Otherwise, a -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the reboot() function fails, errno may be set to the following value: The calling process does not have appropriate privilege. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: crashdc(8), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8), savecore(8) delim off reboot(2)