Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reduce the number of lines in script Post 302851407 by disedorgue on Sunday 8th of September 2013 06:40:42 PM
Old 09-08-2013
Hello,

Not need to use grep, sed can search pattern and awk will better solution.
But, if we rest in shell:
Code:
$ cat file.sh
#!/bin/bash

while IFS=':' read m1 m2 p1 r1
do
        xx=$(sed -n "/$m1/,/$m2/{/$p1/p}" file.log)
        if [[ -z "$xx" ]]
        then
                echo "All report deployed properly"
        else
                echo "$r1"
                echo "$xx"
        fi
done <file.pat

Code:
$ cat file.pat
Main Report:Main Report End:Unable to find:List of report failed to deploy in Main Report due to Null pointer exception
Main Report:Main Report End:Unable to add:List of report failed to deploy in Main Report due to xml issue
Second Report:Second Report End:Unable to add:List of report failed to deploy in Second Report due to xml issue
Second Report:Second Report End:Unable to find:List of report failed to deploy in Second Report due to Null pointer exception

Code:
$ cat file.log
aaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbbb
Main Report
Unable to add file 1
Unable to add file 3
Unable to find file 2
Unable to find file 5
Main Report End
ttttttttttttt
uuuuuuuuuuu
Second Report
Unable to add file 56
Unable to add file 89
Unable to find file 484
Unable to find file 899
Second Report End

Code:
$ ./file.sh
List of report failed to deploy in Main Report due to Null pointer exception
Unable to find file 2
Unable to find file 5
List of report failed to deploy in Main Report due to xml issue
Unable to add file 1
Unable to add file 3
List of report failed to deploy in Second Report due to xml issue
Unable to add file 56
Unable to add file 89
List of report failed to deploy in Second Report due to Null pointer exception
Unable to find file 484
Unable to find file 899

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need inputs on how i can change my script to reduce amount of time the script takes

HI , I have a list1 which consists of data that i have to search and a list2 which has the files that need to be searched .So basically i am using list1 on list2 to see if list1 data is present if found replace it .I have written the code using foreach loop for each list .This is taking the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to split files based on number of lines

I am getting a few gzip files into a folder by doing ftp to another server. Once I get them I move them to another location .But before that I need to make sure each gzip is not more than 5000 lines and split it up . The files I get are anywhere from 500 lines to 10000 lines in them and is in gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To reduce the bash script length!!!

Hi friends, at last i finish my script to find the status of the URL , in this code i used all the status codes, because of this it take too much of length. with the help of wiki only i find all the status codes. Status codes in HTTP #!/bin/bash timevar=`date +%d-%m-%Y_%H.%M.%S` #--... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
6 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Looking to reduce the number a cpus available for SGE

Hey all Im looking to reduce the number of cpus available on a certain node in our cluster available for jobs using SGE. i.e. we have one node that has 24 cpus available for jobs on SGE, i would like to reduce that to 16. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olifu02
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script to print the number of lines in multiple files

Hi I have 1000 files labelled data1.txt through data1000.txt. I want to write a script that prints out the number of lines in each txt file and outputs it in the following format: Column 1: number of data file (1 through 1000) Column 2: number of lines in the text file Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Script to concatenate 2 files with the same number of lines

Hi everyone, I have two files, namely: file1: file1Col1Row1;file1Col2Row1;file1Col3Row1 file1Col1Row2;file1Col2Row2;file1Col3Row2 file1Col1Row3;file1Col2Row3;file1Col3Row3file2: file2Col1Row1;file2Col2Row1;file2Col3Row1 file2Col1Row2;file2Col2Row2;file2Col3Row2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reduce the number of lines by using Array

I have the following code to count the number of how many times the name occurred in one file. The code is working fine and the output is exactly what I want. The problem is the real code has more than 50 names in function listname which cause function name to have more than 50 case ,and function... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsan
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD