Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Set the number of lines to be displayed on nedit!! Post 302851131 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 7th of September 2013 02:31:28 AM
Old 09-07-2013
Could you post the relevant part of that script?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing the colors of nedit

I have only slight difference between remarks (gray) and code (black) using c and c++ how cani change remark to other color ? The option preferences/language mode/c++ doesn't help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eynkesef
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data displayed in two lines

Hi, I am a newbie to both Linux and this forum. I was trying to pull out the data from a database but it is not showing up in the multiple lines, with my limited knowledge i linux u tried to format this but wasn't exactly getting what i wanted. The screenshot below shows my problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ninjaa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long line displayed as multiple lines in Outlook. Please help!

When a file generated by a shell script is sent as a mail (not an attachment), in MS Outlook, single lines of the file are displayed as two/three lines (as the lines are long). Is there a way to make each line to be displayed in 'single line with scroll bar' to enable viewing of the long line? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long line displayed as multiple lines in Outlook. Please help!

When a file generated by a shell script is sent as a mail (not as an attachment), in MS Outlook, single lines of the file are displayed as two/three lines (as the lines are long). Is there a way to make each line to be displayed in 'single line with scroll bar' to enable viewing of the long line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : blank lines are displayed in the output after deleting few rows from excel

I am working on an assignment to pull all the records from excel sheet programatically and use the data for further calculations. In this process, I first defined 10 records in excel sheet and executed the below code. In the first run it is OK. But after deleting last few rows in excel sheet and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk command to convert number occurances into date format and club a set of lines

Hi, I have been stuck in this requirement where my file contains the below format. 20150812170500846959990854-25383-8.0.0 "ABC Report" hp96880 "4952" 20150812170501846959990854-25383-8.0.0 End of run 20150812060132846959990854-20495-8.0.0 "XYZ Report" vg76452 "1006962188"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chinmaya Kabi
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)