Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To append Character in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To append Character in file Post 302850801 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 5th of September 2013 04:59:23 PM
Old 09-05-2013
I must say I'm a little disappointed in Lorance Stinson's CSV Parser I've had to tweak it a fair bit to get the csv_create working correctly but he does say it's a Beta version so some tweaking was expected (the csv_parse worked without a hitch).

So if you ever get embedded newlines in your fields, the attached version supports them eg:

Code:
$ cat infile
aa,bb,c,dd,ee
zz,yy,sss,ddd,ff
aa,bb,c,"dd,xx",ee
aaa,"and now,
for ""something"" interesting",d,e,f

$ awk -f add_LQ.awk.txt infile
aa,bb,c,LQdd,ee
zz,yy,sss,LQddd,ff
aa,bb,c,"LQdd,xx",ee
aaa,"and now,
for ""something"" interesting",d,LQe,f

Your CSV's may never be this complex but it's nice to have around.

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 09-05-2013 at 06:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to append character to each line

Hey - my first post here, and I'm a total SED newb. I've looked around for previous help on this, but have so far been unsuccessful. I have a program (AMStracker for OS X) that outputs data in the terminal. Output is in this form: . . . 3 0 -75 3 0 -76 3 0 -77 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0nn0r
4 Replies

2. Programming

append character to a file

Hi, fputc() will overwrite from the beginning of the target file. How would I append characters to the target file's end instead? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Replace,Sort,and Append Character one script

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting,hope u guys can help i need to replace,sort and append character for the file that look like this: 1007032811010001000100000001X700026930409 1007032811010001000200000002X700026930409 1007032711020001000300000003X700026930409... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashikin_8119
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a character at end of each line of a file

Hi, i want to append a character '|' at end of each line of a file abc.txt. for example if the file abc.txt conatins: a|b|c 1|2|33 w|2|11 i want result file xyz.txt a|b|c| 1|2|33| w|2|11| I know this is simple but sumhow i am not able to reach end of line. its urgent, thanks for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed append newline character

Hi All, I am new to Shell scripting.. I have a task to parse the text file into csv format. more then half the things has done. But the problem is when I use the sed command in shell script. it appends newline character at the end of the line. and so when I open the file in CSV it's format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurang033
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I append a ^M to the end of each 129 character string

Hello all, I have a stumper of a problem. I am trying to append a ^M or "newline" to the end of each 129 character string in a huge file in unix. Each string starts with A00. I am trying to get the file to go from... A00vswjdv1 Test Junk Junk A00vswjdv2 Test Junk Junk ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Captain
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append each line based upon the character size

I have a huge file which contains multiple lines. It need to check whether character length is not more than 255 each line. If its not then it should remove the character up to column. I have described in the output below. If its more than that the next line should start with call but if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JoshvaPeter
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding character and append last element of second column

Hi, could you help me in processing this file under bash? I need to add some text to the first line and then append the last element of the second columns. The input file is tab separated while the output should be space separated. input file is 1.00E-02 2.00E-02 4.465E+17 2.00E-02 3.00E-02... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
4 Replies
MONGOIMPORT(1)							  Mongo Database						    MONGOIMPORT(1)

NAME
mongoimport - the Mongo import tool SYNOPSIS
mongoimport [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
mongoimport is a tool to import a MongoDB collection from JSON, CSV, or TSV. The query can be filtered or a list of fields to input can be given. OPTIONS --help show usage information -h, --host HOST server to connect to (default HOST=localhost) -d, --db DATABASE database to use -c, --c COLLECTION collection to use (some commands) --dbpath PATH directly access mongod data files in this path, instead of connecting to a mongod instance -v, --verbose be more verbose (include multiple times for more verbosity e.g. -vvvvv) -f, --fields NAMES comma separated list of field names e.g. -f name,age --fieldFile FILE file with fields names - 1 per line --jsonArray load a json array, not one item per line. Currently limited to 4MB. --ignoreBlanks if given, empty fields in csv and tsv will be ignored --type TYPE type of file to import. default: json (json,csv,tsv) --file FILE file to import from; if not specified stdin is used --drop drop collection first --headerline CSV,TSV only - use first line as headers COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2009 10gen SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MongoDB wiki, available at http://www.mongodb.org. AUTHOR
Kristina Chodorow 10gen January 2010 MONGOIMPORT(1)