Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [SOLVED] Permission Denied
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [SOLVED] Permission Denied Post 302850355 by Corona688 on Wednesday 4th of September 2013 02:01:38 PM
Old 09-04-2013
Even if something else was accessing Log.txt you would not get 'permission denied', UNIX does not mandatory lock things like that.

777 is not the magic sledgehammer to fix all permissions problems. If 644 doesn't work, and you own it, something else is wrong.

What are the permissions on your directory?

What are the full contents of your script? Perhaps something else is saying 'permission denied'.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Permission denied

Hi guys im new to this db i have a small prob while installing websphereportal6.1i think i was installed succesfully but the error im getting is while starting server. check this out # ./serverStatus.sh -all Error loading: /usr/wps61/AppServer/java/jre/bin/classic/libjvm.so: cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varma917989
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied

I created a user so that when he logs in he will be directed to a menu /etc/passwd user1:x:115:1:Support -SysAd:/export/home/user1:/export/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh However when I logged in remotely from another server by ssh user1@1.1.1.1 , it saysexport/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

8. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

when i run echo "User” > /dev/tty5 why do i get permission denied? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
lsMode(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       lsMode(3pm)

NAME
Stat::lsMode - format file modes like the "ls -l" command does SYNOPSIS
use Stat::lsMode; $mode = (stat $file)[2]; $permissions = format_mode($mode); # $permissions is now something like `drwxr-xr-x' $permissions = file_mode($file); # Same as above $permissions = format_perms(0644); # Produces just 'rw-r--r--' $permissions = format_perms(644); # This generates a warning message: # mode 644 is very surprising. Perhaps you meant 0644... Stat::lsMode->novice(0); # Disable warning messages DESCRIPTION
"Stat::lsMode" generates mode and permission strings that look like the ones generated by the Unix "ls -l" command. For example, a regular file that is readable by everyone and writable only by its owner has the mode string "-rw-r--r--". "Stat::lsMode" will either examine the file and produce the right mode string for you, or you can pass it the mode that you get back from Perl's "stat" call. "format_mode" Given a mode number (such as the third element of the list returned by "stat"), return the appopriate ten-character mode string as it would have been generated by "ls -l". For example, consider a directory that is readable and searchable by everyone, and also writable by its owner. Such a directory will have mode 040755. When passed this value, "format_mode" will return the string "drwxr-xr-x". If "format_mode" is passed a permission number like 0755, it will return a nine-character string insted, with no leading character to say what the file type is. For example, "format_mode(0755)" will return just "rwxr-xr-x", without the leading "d". "file_mode" Given a filename, do "lstat" on the file to determine the mode, and return the mode, formatted as above. Novice Operation Mode A common mistake when dealing with permission modes is to use 644 where you meant to use 0644. Every permission has a numeric representation, but the representation only makes sense when you write the number in octal. The decimal number 644 corresponds to a permission setting, but not the one you think. If you write it in octal you get 01204, which corresponds to the unlikely permissions "-w----r-T", not to "rw-r--r--". The appearance of the bizarre permission "-w----r-T" in a program is almost a sure sign that someone used 644 when they meant to use 0644. By default, this module will detect the use of such unlikely permissions and issue a warning if you try to format them. To disable these warnings, use Stat::lsMode->novice(0); # disable novice mode Stat::lsMode->novice(1); # enable novice mode again The surprising permissions that are diagnosed by this mode are: 111 => --xr-xrwx 400 => rw--w---- 440 => rw-rwx--- 444 => rw-rwxr-- 551 => ---r--rwt 600 => --x-wx--T 640 => -w------T 644 => -w----r-T 660 => -w--w-r-T 664 => -w--wx--T 666 => -w--wx-wT 700 => -w-rwxr-T 711 => -wx---rwt 750 => -wxr-xrwT 751 => -wxr-xrwt 751 => -wxr-xrwt 755 => -wxrw--wt 770 => r------wT 771 => r------wt 775 => r-----rwt 777 => r----x--t Of these, only 400 is remotely plausible. BUGS
As far as I know, the precise definition of the mode bits is portable between varieties of Unix. The module should, however, examine "stat.h" or use some other method to find out if there are any local variations, because Unix being Unix, someone somewhere probably does it differently. Maybe it "file_mode" should have an option that says that if the file is a symlink, to format the mode of the pointed to file instead of the mode of the link itself, the way "ls -Ll" does. SEE ALSO
o "http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/lsMode/". o ls o chmod o stat AUTHOR
Mark-Jason Dominus ("mjd-perl-lsmode@plover.com"). perl v5.10.1 1998-04-20 lsMode(3pm)