Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Request for advise on how to remove control characters in a UNIX file extracted from top command Post 302850171 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 4th of September 2013 05:37:58 AM
Old 09-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikram
Hi Skrynesaver,

I am getting the below error , actually i dont know perl exactly. Could you please advise.

Code:
$perl -ne 's/^[\[\d*m//g' file_name.txt
Unmatched [ in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^[ <-- HERE \[\d*m/ at -e line 1.

See note on literal escape character in my original reply
This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove control characters

Hi, When I do a man and save it into a file, I end up getting a lot of control characters. How can I remove them?? I tried this: /1,$ s/^H//g But I get an error saying "no previous regular expression". Can someone help me with this. Thanks, Aravind (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
5 Replies

2. Programming

Identifying and removing control characters in a file.

What is the best method to identify an remove control characters in a file. Would it be easier to do this in Unix or in C. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which one is faster to remove control m characters?

I have a file with millions of records...Before I experiment, I would like to know which one is faster. Both the commands work absolutely fine on a smaller set of records. Please advice. sed 's/^M//g' ${INPUT_FILE} > tmp.txt mv tmp.txt ${INPUT_FILE} tr -d "\15" < ${INPUT_FILE} > ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

display all possible control characters from .xml file in unix

Hi, I have a .xml file in unix. We are passing this file through a xml parser. But we are getting some control characters from input file and XML parser is failing for the control character in file.Now I am getting following error, Error at byte 243206625 of file filename_$.xml: Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fantushmayu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove Ctlr-M characters from file from a unix script

There are 10 files present which have Ctlr-M characters appended to each line of all files. I have a unix script which processes the files in a loop. And there is an inner loop which processes each line in the file concerned. #inputFile is a variable which has the file name of the input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra control characters being added when I create a file using cat command

Hi, I am using Cygwin.I created a new file and type into it using cat > newfile. When I open this using vi editor, it contains loads of extra control characters. Whats happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erora
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to view the control characters in a file?

Hello, How can I view control and special characters of a text file?. For example, space, tabs, new line chars etc. Can I use hexdump for it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Special control characters in file

Hi Guys, We receive some huge files on to Linux server. Source system use FTP mechanism to transfer these files on our server. Occasionally one record is getting corrupted while transfer, some control characters are injecting into the file. How to fix this issue ? please advice ? Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies
ASA(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    ASA(1)

NAME
asa -- interpret carriage-control characters SYNOPSIS
asa [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The asa utility reads files sequentially, mapping FORTRAN carriage-control characters to line-printer control sequences, and writes them to the standard output. The first character of each line is interpreted as a carriage-control character. The following characters are interpreted as follows: <space> Output the rest of the line without change. 0 Output a <newline> character before printing the rest of the line. 1 Output a <formfeed> character before printing the rest of the line. + The trailing <newline> of the previous line is replaced by a <carriage-return> before printing the rest of the line. Lines beginning with characters other than the above are treated as if they begin with <space>. EXIT STATUS
The asa utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To view a file containing the output of a FORTRAN program: asa file To format the output of a FORTRAN program and redirect it to a line-printer: a.out | asa | lpr SEE ALSO
f77(1) STANDARDS
The asa utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). AUTHORS
J.T. Conklin, Winning Strategies, Inc. BSD
May 9, 2002 BSD