Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Request for advise on how to remove control characters in a UNIX file extracted from top command Post 302850143 by karthikram on Wednesday 4th of September 2013 02:56:13 AM
Old 09-04-2013
Request for advise on how to remove control characters in a UNIX file extracted from top command

Hi,

Please excuse for posting new thread on control characters,
I am facing some difficulties in removing the control character from a file extracted from top command,
i am able to see control characters using more command and in vi mode, through cat control characters are not visible
through cat -v i am able to see the control characters.

i tried with sed , tr -dc, od command (not sure how to handle this) nothing worked and thought of reading line by line and removing control characters but not sure how to remove the control characters, Could anyone please advise how to remove the control characters.

below is my file in vi mode having control characters

Code:
^[[7m  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                         ^[[m^O^[[K
^[[m^O12759 aaaa_a    16   0  100m 3188 2616 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.23 xxx aaaa_axxxxxx                                                                               ^[[m^O
^[[m^O24435 aaaa_a    16   0  100m 3200 2624 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.19 xxx aaaa_axxxxxx                                                                               ^[[m^O
^[[m^O25623 aaaa_a    15   0  100m 3192 2624 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.28 xxx aaaa_axxxxxx                                                                               ^[[m^O
^[[m^O29634 aaaa_a    16   0  100m 3204 2632 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.35 xxx aaaa_axxxxxx                                                                               ^[[m^O

Thanks,
Regards,
karthikram

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove control characters

Hi, When I do a man and save it into a file, I end up getting a lot of control characters. How can I remove them?? I tried this: /1,$ s/^H//g But I get an error saying "no previous regular expression". Can someone help me with this. Thanks, Aravind (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
5 Replies

2. Programming

Identifying and removing control characters in a file.

What is the best method to identify an remove control characters in a file. Would it be easier to do this in Unix or in C. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which one is faster to remove control m characters?

I have a file with millions of records...Before I experiment, I would like to know which one is faster. Both the commands work absolutely fine on a smaller set of records. Please advice. sed 's/^M//g' ${INPUT_FILE} > tmp.txt mv tmp.txt ${INPUT_FILE} tr -d "\15" < ${INPUT_FILE} > ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

display all possible control characters from .xml file in unix

Hi, I have a .xml file in unix. We are passing this file through a xml parser. But we are getting some control characters from input file and XML parser is failing for the control character in file.Now I am getting following error, Error at byte 243206625 of file filename_$.xml: Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fantushmayu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove Ctlr-M characters from file from a unix script

There are 10 files present which have Ctlr-M characters appended to each line of all files. I have a unix script which processes the files in a loop. And there is an inner loop which processes each line in the file concerned. #inputFile is a variable which has the file name of the input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra control characters being added when I create a file using cat command

Hi, I am using Cygwin.I created a new file and type into it using cat > newfile. When I open this using vi editor, it contains loads of extra control characters. Whats happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erora
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to view the control characters in a file?

Hello, How can I view control and special characters of a text file?. For example, space, tabs, new line chars etc. Can I use hexdump for it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Special control characters in file

Hi Guys, We receive some huge files on to Linux server. Source system use FTP mechanism to transfer these files on our server. Occasionally one record is getting corrupted while transfer, some control characters are injecting into the file. How to fix this issue ? please advice ? Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies
curs_ins_wstr(3X)														 curs_ins_wstr(3X)

NAME
ins_wstr, ins_nwstr, wins_wstr, wins_nwstr, mvins_wstr, mvins_nwstr, mvwins_wstr, mvwins_nwstr - insert a wide-character string into a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int ins_wstr(const wchar_t *wstr); int ins_nwstr(const wchar_t *wstr, int n); int wins_wstr(WINDOW *win, const wchar_t *wstr); int wins_nwstr(WINDOW *win, const wchar_t *wstr, int n); int mvins_wstr(int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr); int mvins_nwstr(int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr, int n); int mvwins_wstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr); int mvwins_nwstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr, int n); DESCRIPTION
These routines insert a wchar_t character string (as many characters as will fit on the line) before the character under the cursor. All characters to the right of the cursor are shifted right, with the possibility of the rightmost characters on the line being lost. No wrap- ping is performed. The cursor position does not change (after moving to y, x, if specified). The four routines with n as the last argu- ment insert a leading substring of at most n wchar_t characters. If n is less than 1, the entire string is inserted. If a character in wstr is a tab, newline, carriage return or backspace, the cursor is moved appropriately within the window. A newline also does a clrtoeol before moving. Tabs are considered to be at every eighth column. If a character in wstr is another control charac- ter, it is drawn in the ^X notation. Calling win_wch after adding a control character (and moving to it, if necessary) does not return the control character, but instead returns a character in the ^-representation of the control character. NOTES
Note that all but wins_nwstr may be macros. If the first character in the string is a nonspacing character, these functions will fail. XSI does not define what will happen if a non- spacing character follows a control character. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_insstr(3X), curs_in_wch(3X), curs_ins_wch(3X). curs_ins_wstr(3X)