Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Path variable in Linux?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Path variable in Linux? Post 302850139 by silverdust on Wednesday 4th of September 2013 02:41:00 AM
Old 09-04-2013
Path variable in Linux?

Hi guys,

In Windows, whenever I want a execute a program using just a relative path on the command prompt, I simply edit the 'Path' variable and append my parent directory.

Is there something like this available in Unix? I have a binary for Virtualbox called VBoxManage that I want to execute without tying the absolute path (i.e. not /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxManage) and instead just relative (VBoxManage). The binary is located in /usr/lib/virtualbox.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

:: in PATH environment variable

whats the meaning of :: colon in PATH environment? /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin::.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin and whats the meaning of // in PATH ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable PATH

Hi, i know that this topic discussed for many times but although i had researched them i couldnt succeed in my problem. i am following a step-by-step instruction guide and must do the following: ------------- To ensure access, set the path PATH $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin:$PATH and set the Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merope
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the path from a variable

Hi, I am having a variable Like line="/dir1/dir2/gr3/file.ksh" I need to get the /dir1/dir2/gr3 alone. the no of directories may differ at each time. Please advice. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to make my own $PATH variable

hi all, i have to implement a mini-SHELL for a project in C++ i used "system()" to call bash functions found in $PATH i want to change this variable to $MYPATH, so, when i execute a coommand, the program will look for it in $MYPATH, not in $PATH how can i do it? Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bismillah
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a PATH variable

I am new to shell scripting and I ran into a couple lines of code which I don't completely understand: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/entity/bin data_dir=/usr/local/entity/projectI believe data_dir to be a more conventional link to a directory. However, I am not sure what PATH... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
12 Replies
chroot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot newroot command DESCRIPTION
The chroot utility causes command to be executed relative to newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes (/) in the path names is changed to newroot for command and any of its child processes. Upon execution, the initial working directory is newroot. Notice that redirecting the output of command to a file, chroot newroot command >x will create the file x relative to the original root of command, not the new one. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a chroot is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command can be run only by the super-user. RETURN VALUES
The exit status of chroot is the return value of command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the chroot Utility The chroot utility provides an easy way to extract tar files (see tar(1)) written with absolute filenames to a different location. It is necessary to copy the shared libraries used by tar (see ldd(1)) to the newroot filesystem. example# mkdir /tmp/lib; cd /lib example# cp ld.so.1 libc.so.1 libcmd.so.1 libdl.so.1 libsec.so.1 /tmp/lib example# cp /usr/bin/tar /tmp example# dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | chroot /tmp tar xvf - ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), tar(1), chroot(2), ttyname(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Exercise extreme caution when referencing device files in the new root file system. References by routines such as ttyname(3C) to stdin, stdout, and stderr will find that the device associated with the file descriptor is unknown after chroot is run. SunOS 5.10 15 Dec 2003 chroot(1M)