Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Floating point math with bc Post 302849435 by bmfmancini on Sunday 1st of September 2013 02:22:49 PM
Old 09-01-2013
Thank you both for your input

I will let you know how it goes

BMF

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating Point Division

Does anyone have a simple way of doing floating point ("fp") division? For example, if I divide 3 by 5, I can get 0.6. The built-in calc (`bc`) will perform fp multiplication, but not division, at least not straight-up (i.e., starting bc and just typing in 3/5). I am trying to do this using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsatch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point numeric comparisions in bash

Hi, I am trying to compare 2 floating point numbers 0.8 and 0.15 using bash and get the largest of the two. Can anyone advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

3. Programming

floating point problem

Hi all! Hi all! I am working with a problem to find the smallest floating point number that can be represented. I am going in a loop ,stating with an initial value of 1.0 and then diving it by 10 each time thru the loop. So the first time I am getting o.1 which I wanted.But from the next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

6. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Floating point exception

Heyas I have a script (vhs - video handler script, using ffmpeg) to encode videos. It also encodes a dvd, but until now just non-copy-protected ones, so i've tried to add/implement a vobcopy wrapper to be used by my script. At first it looked quite fine, but when changing from the first VOB... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0

Hello, I have often found bash to be difficult when it comes to floating point numbers. I have data with rows of tab delimited floating point numbers. I need to find the smallest number in each row that is not 0.0. Numbers can be negative and they do not come in any particular order for a given... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
write_rnd(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      write_rnd(3)

NAME
write_rnd, read_rnd - Sets and returns IEEE dynamic rounding mode for floating-point operations LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <float.h> unsigned int write_rnd( unsigned int rnd); unsigned int read_rnd(); DESCRIPTION
The write_rnd function sets the dynamic rounding mode in the floating-point control register (fpcr) for IEEE floating-point operations and returns the previous dynamic rounding mode. Dynamic rounding mode for IEEE floating-point operations is enabled for code generated by the C compiler by specifying -fprm d to cc(1), and by using the d floating-point instruction operator in assembly language code. Specify rnd as one of the following constants defined in float.h --------------------------------------------------- Constant Meaning --------------------------------------------------- FP_RND_RZ Round toward zero (chopped rounding) FP_RND_RN Round toward nearest (normal rounding) FP_RND_RP Round toward plus infinity FP_RND_RM Round toward minus infinity --------------------------------------------------- The read_rnd function returns the current dynamic rounding mode for floating-point operations. RETURN VALUES
The write_rnd function returns the previous IEEE floating-point rounding mode. The read_rnd function returns the current IEEE floating- point rounding mode. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1). Files: float.h. Assembly Language Programmer's Guide. Alpha Architecture Reference Manual. IEEE Standard for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic delim off write_rnd(3)