Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regexp for string that might contain a given character Post 302848995 by Don Cragun on Friday 30th of August 2013 03:09:30 PM
Old 08-30-2013
The extended regular expression ^(1.|.)..$ seems to do what you want. But without knowing what utility you're using to evaluate the RE, I have no idea if it will do what you want.

Your thread title mentions regexp; your text mentions pattern. If you want a pathname matching pattern instead of a regular expression, you need something completely different.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp to get first line of string

Hi everybody for file in * #Bash performs filename expansion #+ on expressions that globbing recognizes. do output="`grep -n "$1" "$file"`" echo "$file: `expr "$output" : '\(^.*$\)'`" done In the above bash script segment, I try to print just the first line of string named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl RegExp to remove last character from strings

I use SAS (a statistical software) and have to remove last character or the last 1/2 numbers that appear after characters from the string using Perl Regular Expression (which is recognized by SAS). Input: f183ii10 f183ii2 f182ii1 f182ii2 f183iim f22ii f22ii11 f22ii12 pmh4 pmhm Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename - change n'th character of regexp

Hi, I wonder if its possible to do the following task using rename (perl v5.8.8). I want to find filenames matching the specific pattern and then change chosen character of this pattern to a given character, e.g. do the following renaming: regexp: 'ab' -----> 'a0b' What's the simplest... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pms
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string until regexp from backside

Hi, I searched in the forums, but I didn't find a good solution. My problem is: I have a string like "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D101010203". I just want to have the string until the D100430, so that the string should look like: "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D" The last characters after the D can be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elifchen
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt with regexp-meta character

Hi, I am learning reg exp a bit :) Meta char info: {n,m} Matches the preceding character at least n times but not more than m times, for example, 'ba{2,3}b' will find 'baab' and 'baaab' but NOT 'bab' or 'baaaab'. Values are enclosed in braces (curly brackets). Input file: 112 11112... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regexp to find an ipaddress from a query string?

I need help with a regexp to find out the ip address which can possibly be present in a URL. The URLs can be in any of the following form <domain>?a=12345&d=somestring1 <domain>?c=10.10.10.100&d=somestring1 <domain>?a=12345&b=somestring1&c=10.1.2.4d=somestring2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampak
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter non-alpha character with grep/regexp

Hi all, I am trying to filter out those lines that contain a "non-alpha" character. An example of my input is the following: zygnematales grb zygocactus grb zygocactus_truncatus plt zygodactyl_foot prt zygoma prt zygomatic prt zygomatic_arch prt zygomatic_bone ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and Replace String in Perl - Regexp

Trying to find and replace one string with another string in a file #!/usr/bin/perl $csd_table_path = "/file.ntab"; $find_str = '--bundle_type=021'; $repl_str = '--bundle_type=021 --target=/dev/disk1s2'; if( system("/usr/bin/perl -p -i -e 's/$find_str/$repl_str/' $csd_table_path")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cillmor
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
re_comp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       re_comp(3C)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - compile and execute regular expressions SYNOPSIS
#include <re_comp.h> char *re_comp(const char *string); int re_exec(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
The re_comp() function converts a regular expression string (RE) into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. The re_exec() func- tion compares the string pointed to by the string argument with the last regular expression passed to re_comp(). If re_comp() is called with a null pointer argument, the current regular expression remains unchanged. Strings passed to both re_comp() and re_exec() must be terminated by a null byte, and may include NEWLINE characters. The re_comp() and re_exec() functions support simple regular expressions, which are defined on the regexp(5) manual page. The regular expressions of the form {m}, {m,}, or {m,n} are not supported. RETURN VALUES
The re_comp() function returns a null pointer when the string pointed to by the string argument is successfully converted. Otherwise, a pointer to one of the following error message strings is returned: No previous regular expression Regular expression too long unmatched ( missing ] too many () pairs unmatched ) Upon successful completion, re_exec() returns 1 if string matches the last compiled regular expression. Otherwise, re_exec() returns 0 if string fails to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression is invalid (indicating an internal error). ERRORS
No errors are defined. USAGE
For portability to implementations conforming to X/Open standards prior to SUS, regcomp(3C) and regexec(3C) are preferred to these func- tions. See standards(5). SEE ALSO
grep(1), regcmp(1), regcmp(3C), regcomp(3C), regexec(3C), regexpr(3GEN), regexp(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 26 Feb 1997 re_comp(3C)