Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Home email server setup - stuck Post 302848665 by bakunin on Thursday 29th of August 2013 05:18:58 PM
Old 08-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalisco
As to the second question. I don't really know how it's set up. MTA = mail transfer agent? I thought that's what Postfix was? The server is not setup as a domain, e. g. the hostname is not the domain name.
Yes, postfix is one MTA (sendmail would be another, etc.). If you send mail your client sends it to your own MTA. This picks it up and transfers it to another MTA, this one maybe to yet another one, etc., finally the last MTA stores it and - upon request of the client of the recipient - sends it to the recipients client. Now, the next to last MTA in this chain has to know somehow that it has to transfer the mail to the last MTA for this to work. Therefore you have to make your system with postfix installed known to the MTA of your ISP (or whoever runs the next-to-last MTA, from which you get your mails) so that your MTA is being delivered the mails adressed to you(r domain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalisco
I have not setup a dns server, would that help? If so, I can try it. I didn't know if I needed to set that up as well.
Usually it works like this: you run "your.domain.com" and you have many systems in it. Your users have mail adresses "user@your.domain.com", but in fact they sit on "system1.your.domain.com", "system2.your.domain.com", etc.. This is done by setting up an MTA system like you did, say "mta.your.system.com" and then create a MX record, which states "mta.your.system.com" to be the mail exchange of "your.domain.com" and defining the all users there somehow (typically something like LDAP is used for this).

If you want to set up your own domain you would need a (at least one) static IP address first and then still would have to make your domain known. This means getting your (primary) DNS server (the one responsible for your domain) to be recognized at the ISPs DNS. They would probably hold "domain.com" and would now "delegate" the responsibility for "your.domain.com" to you.

I know, this all doesn't help you immediately, but i thought it would be a good idea to show the general ideas and concepts behind the mail (and DNS) system.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home network - can you have a primary name server, or only a caching-only name server

i'm setting up a solaris 9 box to be my home network's DNS server. actually it's up and running, but it's set as a caching-only name server. can i set it up to be the primary name server? what are the advantages if i can set it up to be a primary name server vs. a caching only name server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stuck in perl cgi to upload a file to server

hi, i m working on a perl cgi script which uploads a file to the server. i m stuck. i hav written the errors. plz help. Sachin Kaw ______________________________________________________________________ #!/usr/bin/perl -w use CGI; use CGI qw(:standard); use strict; use POSIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin_kaw
4 Replies

3. SCO

SCO-5.0.7 Setup Email-2.5.1 problem

Did anyone got Email-2.5.1 working on Sco 5? It goes thru ./configure with no problem but bump into an error message when use make I am including the error message bellow: Undefined first referenced symbol in file __abbr_table_1.1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
0 Replies

4. AIX

NIM server setup on etherchannel setup environment

I know that IBM's official stance is that NIM does not work on etherchannel environment, but has anyone able to get around it? I'm working on a p5-590 LPAR system, and the NIM master and clients are all on the same frame. Any help is appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

How to setup Email notification when storage reach certain % ?

Hi, I recently research on how auto-mailing to notify the increase of storage size. I try avoid schedule/routine checkup the storage to determine increase the storage size. It is time-consuming. Any comment on how to get the storage size %? and automatically trigger mailing function instead... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: i-counsellor
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the newest file from a different server to your home server.

Hi all, So I am on server 1, and I want to grab the newest file from a particular directory on server 2, and place this in a directory on server 1. I am trying to use: ls -tr | tail -1 This works, and gets me the newest file in a particular directory. Using svn `ls -tr | tail -1` etc I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lexx87
1 Replies

7. AIX

Setup hacmp on lpar with a hmc for home lab

Unix Guys i want to setup a lab in my house for learning, i want to setup and hacmp and a seperate server where i can setup 2 lpars and then cluster those 2 lpars and setup them up for failover what is the cheapest way to achive this. my objective is to learn hmc -> managed server via... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed123
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]How do I setup outgoing email in solaris?

I have a Solaris box that I need to enable outgoing email from alarm purposes. How do I do that so the command echo "test this email" | mailx test@address.com will go through? ---------- Post updated at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:04 PM ---------- Needed to open port 25/smtp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email server setup - basic help; tutorial for debian/Postfix/dovecot

Hello, I have been trying to setup a email server here at home, for me and a few friends. Nothing fancy, just a super basic - but secure - email server. I have been having trouble over the course of the past 2-3 weeks fumbling through various online tutorials. It shouldn't be SO hard =) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalisco
0 Replies

10. Hardware

HP9000 Server - Stuck on RAID0

Hey all, I've got an old HP9000 L1000 server with HP-UX installed. The drives that the OS is running on are in RAID0. I am concerned for the reliability of the server. The four hard drives in the front of the server are LVD 18.2 drives. I know with RAID0, if one drive fails, they all fail. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mroselli
2 Replies
postfix-nochroot(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       postfix-nochroot(8)

NAME
postfix-nochroot - change /etc/postfix/master.cf to not use chroot SYNOPSIS
postfix-nochroot DESCRIPTION
Renames /etc/postfix/master.cf to /etc/postfix/master.cf.bak and creates a new /etc/postfix/master.cf file with every service configured to not use chroot. Every modified line is commented. It also restarts Postfix (to apply the change) and rmoves the unused chroot directories /var/spool/postfix/{etc,lib,usr} . Using a chroot environment makes upgrades more difficult and gets in the way when running SE Linux (without actually providing any security benefit in a SE Linux system). SEE ALSO
selinux(8), sestatus(8), selinuxenabled(1), check-selinux-installation(8), selinux-config-enforcing(8), selinux-policy-upgrade(8), http://wiki.debian.org/SELinux - More about SELinux Debian install, http://etbe.coker.com.au/tag/selinux/ - Russell's SE Linux blog posts, http://etbe.coker.com.au/2008/08/02/postfix-and-chroot/ - post about this script. AUTHOR
This program and it's man page was written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Per- mission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3. postfix-nochroot(8)