Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert charactera in 1st position of specific lines using vi editor or sed command Post 302847979 by Jotne on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 07:40:29 AM
Old 08-28-2013
With 40 post here, you should now how to use Code Tags

Code:
awk 'NR>=3 && NR<=5 {$0="OK "$0} 1'
surya
rama
OK ranga
OK laxman
OK rajesh
reddy

This User Gave Thanks to Jotne For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a line and insert string into specific at position

Hi, guys. I have one question: How can I search for a line with certain string in it and then insert a string into this line? For example: There is a file called shadow, the contents of it are below: ************************** ... yuanz:VIRADxMsadfDF/Q:0:0:50:7:::... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute a string on a specific position for specific lines

I woud like to substitue a string on a specific position for specific lines I've got a file and I would like to change a specific string from "TOCHANGE" to "ABCABCAB" For every line (except 1,2, 3 and the last one) , I need to check between the 9th and the 16th digits. For the 3rd line, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed position specific replace

I'm drawing a blank on how to use sed to replace selectively based on position in the string (vs nth occurence): hello.|there.|how.|are.|you.| I want the period removed in the 3rd item (as defined by the pipe delimiter) if a period is present. So the result in this case would be: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert | in specific position

Hi , I have a file which has line similar to below 13123324234234234234234234234234234 3454546456dfhgfhgh454645654asdasfsdsddfgdgdfg 345345345mnmnbmnb346mnb4565464564564645645 Not for each line for specific position I need to insert some '|' Positions are fixed. Like 3,5,9,11 So the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command or script to print all lines from 2nd position to last but one position

hi guys, i want command or script to display the content of file from 2nd position to last but one position of a file abcdefghdasdasdsd 123,345,678,345,323 434,656,656,656,656 678,878,878,989,545 4565656667,65656 i want to display the same above file without first and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to insert at position x and then every interval y for each line

Thanks to help from Don Cragun in post 302924174, I'm off and getting into trouble on my own (finally) with sed. Here is my goal - insert \\r\n at the 60th character on each line and then every 76th character thereafter: Input:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusbrown
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to Insert a line before the last four lines of the file

By using sed command, How to insert a new line before the last four lines of the file. Old Line Old Line NEW LINE! Old Line Old Line Old Line Old Line (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wridler
8 Replies
wsprintf(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      wsprintf(3C)

NAME
wsprintf - formatted output conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> #include <widec.h> int wsprintf(wchar_t *s, const char *format, /* arg */ ... );); DESCRIPTION
The wsprintf() function outputs a Process Code string ending with a Process Code (wchar_t) null character. It is the user's responsibility to allocate enough space for this wchar_t string. This returns the number of Process Code characters (excluding the null terminator) that have been written. The conversion specifications and behavior of wsprintf() are the same as the regular sprintf(3C) function except that the result is a Process Code string for wsprintf(), and on Extended Unix Code (EUC) character string for sprintf(). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, wsprintf() returns the number of characters printed. Otherwise, a negative value is returned. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |MT-Level MT-Safe | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
wsscanf(3C), printf(3C), scanf(3C), sprintf(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 29 Dec 1996 wsprintf(3C)