Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace a string with each line from another file repeatedly Post 302847023 by perseous on Monday 26th of August 2013 06:18:13 AM
Old 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishmaths
Code:
while read LINE
do
 sed 's/XXXX/'$LINE'/' file1.txt >>file3.txt
done<file2.txt
cat file3.txt

thanks for quickly help.but i got :
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `done'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file within a range of line

Hi, I want to replace the srting '; with ABCD'; in a file from line 1 to line 65. Is there any single command to do it without using awk Thanks for quick reply https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tosattam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in file.1 with line from file.2

Hello all, the title makes this sound simple, and maybe it should be. This is by code: #!/bin/sh cp ch25.txt ch25.fn.tex n=`grep -c '^\' ch25_footnotes.txt > temp` r=`awk -F] '{print $2}' temp` `sed 's/\/\\footnote{$r}/' ch25.fn.tex` done This is what I am trying to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trim Certain field in a line of a file and replace the new string in that position

To trim 3rd field in for all the lines of a file and replace the modified string in that particular field. For example i have a file called Temp.txt having content Temp.txt ----------------- 100,234,M1234 400,234,K1734 300,345,T3456 ---------------- So the modified file output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpadhi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi I am not the best scripter in the world and have run into a issue which you might be able to guide me on... I have two files. File1 : A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB File2: C345,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line from another file containing a string

Hi experts, In my text file I have the following alot of lines like below. input.k is as follows. 2684717 -194.7050476 64.2345581 150.6500092 0 0 2684718 -213.1575623 62.7032242 150.6500092 0 0 *INCLUDE $# filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace line in file with line in another file based on matching string

HI Can any one guide me how to achieve this task. I have 2 files env.txt #Configuration.Properties values identity_server_url = http://identity.test-hit.com:9783/identity/service/user/register randon_password_length = 6 attachment_file_path = /pass/temp/attachments/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikilbr86
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)