Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search subdirectories and find and print total files Post 302846219 by ManiS_1 on Friday 23rd of August 2013 07:52:51 AM
Old 08-23-2013
Try this for finding the file count:
Code:
find ./CUSTOMER -type d -name 'FTP_FILES' -print 0 | ls -l *.txt | grep ^- | wc -l

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files ignoring subdirectories

Hi guys, I am searching some files not equal to the pattern with this command find ! -name "PATTERN" -type f but my problem is the find command because he also search inside subdirectories and that's the thing i don't want that. Is there any comand to ignore the directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osramos
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for files in subdirectories

Hi! I want to find files located in subdirectories. I have tried ls -R | grep myfile but this won't tell me where the file is, only that it is there. Any one have a better idea? Thanks, --Euclid (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euclid3628800
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files only inside the subdirectories only?

Hi I have a directory with two subdirectories and also have a code like below to search files modified in last 2 minutes. # ls hello080909.txt inbox outbox # find . -type f -mmin +2 ./inbox/hello2080909.txt ./outbox/hi0080909.txt ./hello080909.txt The above code just searches and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and find total count from multiple files

Please advice how can we search for a string say (abc) in multiple files and to get total occurrence of that searched string. (Need number of records that exits in period of time). File look like this (read as filename.yyyymmdd) a.20100101 b.20100108 c.20100115 d.20100122 e.20100129... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find *.tar files under all subdirectories

Hi there, I'm new to shell scripting... I've a situation like to find *.tar files under all subdirectories in "/home/abcd" and i used the below, find /opt/lhapp ! -name "temp" | more the above works fine.. Now don't need search few direcotries like "/home/abcd/aaaa",... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories?

Hi all... I have a directory called dbrn. This directory contains an unknown number of subdirectories which in turn contain an unknown number of files. What I want to know is: How many files with extention .ABC can be found in /dbrn across all subdirecties, and what is the total size for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beun
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to search files in a directory excluding subdirectories

Hi Forum, I am using the below command to find files older than x days in a directory excluding subdirectories. From the previous forums I got to know that prune command helps us not to descend in subdirectories. Though I am using it here, not getting the desired result. cd $dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use ls or find for search of subdirectories?

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhsinger
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)