Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist. Post 302845943 by Devyn on Thursday 22nd of August 2013 04:17:21 PM
Old 08-22-2013
Thanks very much all for the replies. Really appreciate it. The place to run this for me would be even in basic shells like the Linux, Solaris, AIX etc 'maintenance' / 'recovery' shells.

So things like Perl or openssl won't work as required libraries won't be loaded in those simple recovery shells.

Corona688:
That's a good option there but unfortunately it didn't work fully or I should say it DID work partially. The loop continued to run even though the dd command ended / stopped.

Cheers,
DH

Last edited by Devyn; 08-22-2013 at 05:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a random password

Hello All... Can someone help me generate a random password which will be 7 characters long which contains alpha-numeric characters using shell script. I am looking to store the output of the script that generates the password to a variable within a script and use it as the password. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

3. Programming

Generate Random Password in C

I need a function to generate a random alphanumeric password in C code. It needs to be between 6-8 characters and follow the following rules: Reject if same char appears # time: 4 or more Reject if same char appears consecutively: 3 or more I have the following random password working for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjaws
2 Replies

4. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

5. Programming

generate array of random numbers

hi guys, I am writing a c program that generates a two dimensional array to make matrix and a vector of random numbers and perform multiplication. I can't figure out whats wrong with my code. It generates a matrix of random numbers but all the numbers in the vector array is same and so is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saboture88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random base 16

How would you use bash to generate a random 32 digit number base 16? Like this one: 0cc06f2fa0166913291afcb788717458 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to generate random number as as the first column of a txt file

Dear all, I have a question. I have a txt file say 4000 rows X 1800 Column. I 'd like to creat a new column as the first column which is a column of random numbers (n=4000) thanks a lot! Lin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate random numbers in script

i want to generate a random number through a script, and even if anyone reads the script, they wont be able to figure out what the random number is. only the person who setup the script would know it. something like this could work: random the full thread is here: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with generate a pair of random number

Hi, Is anybody experience generate a pair of random number by using awk command? I wanna to generate a pair of random number (range from 1 to 4124) and repeats it 416 times. Desired output 2 326 123 1256 341 14 3245 645 . . . I did write the below command: awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi, In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom. Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashi
4 Replies
GETUSERSHELL(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   GETUSERSHELL(3)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get permitted user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getusershell(), setusershell(), endusershell(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns the next line from the file /etc/shells, opening the file if necessary. The line should contain the pathname of a valid user shell. If /etc/shells does not exist or is unreadable, getusershell() behaves as if /bin/sh and /bin/csh were listed in the file. The setusershell() function rewinds /etc/shells. The endusershell() function closes /etc/shells. RETURN VALUE
The getusershell() function returns a NULL pointer on end-of-file. FILES
/etc/shells CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. SEE ALSO
shells(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2007-07-26 GETUSERSHELL(3)