Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add the characters in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add the characters in file Post 302845287 by vbe on Wednesday 21st of August 2013 08:08:22 AM
Old 08-21-2013
What is stopping you?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add few characters

Hello, I have a file with few n number of lines .I want to add any character ie comma "," in begining of each line of the file i dont know how many lines the file may contain Also, i want to add comma twice ot thrice in front of each line like 3 coulmn's. input file abc def ijk output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_aparna
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add spaces between Characters

I need to add spaces in between characters in a string variable. Is there a shortcut? I know you can remove the spaces with sed, but does sed have a way to add them? Example: I have: DATA01 I want it to be: D A T A 0 1 What I have done so far is to create a function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyindy06
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a hyphen every 2 characters of every line

I have a text file like this with hundreds of lines: >cat file1.txt 1027123000 1027124000 1127125000 1128140000 1228143000 > all lines are very similar and have exactly 10 digits. I want to separate the digits by twodigit and hyphens....like so, > 10-27-12-30-00 10-27-12-40-00... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add characters at specific position in file

Hello I want to add some value at the specific position. My file has data like Hello Welcome to UNIX Forums Need Assistance I want to add some value at the end but at same character position for all lines. I want my output file to have data like : Here '_' represents blanks.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace and add characters in filename

I have files named like ABAB09s099E1AAV1.pdf and ABAB09s099E2AAV1.pdf in a directory. I need to add _Lop in the end of the name, like ABAB09s099E1AAV1_Lop.pdf for all files. For files with E2 in the name I also have to replace 99 with 88 in the filename, that would be ABAB09s088E2AAV1_Lop.pdf ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakkar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line & File Manipulation - add spaces between characters

Is there an awk, sed, vi or any line command that adds Field Separators (default spaces) to each line in a file? $cat RegionalData 12FC2525MZLP8266900216 12FC2525MZLP8266900216 12FC2525NBLP8276900216 12FC2525NBLP8276900216 Desired results: 1 2 F C 2525 MZ LP 826 690 02 16 1 2 F C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MS75001
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut add characters

i have following fixed width text(also has a delimiter) id;name;age;comments1;comments2;title;date to get output as id;name;age;;;title;date (remove comments but keep the delimiter in between) i use cut -c1-12,22,32- suppose if i want to insert another ; somewhere like ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petergemeni
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count characters in a csv file and add an word.

Hello, I want to add a sentence to "post column" those who are only less than 30 characters.Thank you very much for your help. "category","title","post" "Z","Zoo","test 54325 test 45363mc." "Z","Zen","rs2w3rsj 2d342dg 2d3s4f23 d23423s23h 2s34s2423g ds232d34 2342." "Z","Zet","test4444... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to remove and add specified characters

I have the following type of 2 column file: motility - role - supplementation - age b ancestry b purity b recommendation b serenity b unease b carving f expansion f I would like to print only certain sections of the file depending on the value of the second column. For instance,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to add length of matching characters between field in file

The awk below produces the current output, which will add +1 to $3. However, I am trying to add the length of the matching characters between $5 and $6 to $3. I have tried using sub as a variable to store the length but am not able to do so correctly. I added comments to each line and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
stopping(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       stopping(7)

NAME
stopping - event signalling that a job is stopping SYNOPSIS
stopping JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The stopping event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job begins stopping. The JOB environment variable con- tains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. If the job is stopping normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job is stopping because it has failed it will be failed. When the job has failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable. This may be pre-start, post-start, main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job is stopping because it hit the respawn limit. Finally in the case of a failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop. Either EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received. The normal exit job configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see init(5) for more information. If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed to spawn (for example, file not found). See the system logs for the error. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue stopping. This allows jobs to depend on other jobs, safely stopping themselves before their dependency goes away. This event is typically combined with the started(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopping event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to depend on another service might use: start on started apache stop on stopping apache A task that must be run before another task or service is stopped might use: start on stopping postgresql RESULT=ok SEE ALSO
starting(7) started(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 stopping(7)