Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable won't print out - awk Post 302845097 by alister on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 09:03:15 PM
Old 08-20-2013
You appear to be posting a code fragment. You pass $type to AWK but it is not set anywhere in the preceding script.

You have also neglected to show us the value of $OPTARG and AWK's input.

If you would like competent assistance, show us the complete script, exactly how you're calling it, any input provided to it, the actual output, and the desired output.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in awk

i read the variable ph from file and i wanna to print it in awk. example ph=`cat tmpbatch` tail h.txt|grep "| |"|awk -F"|" '{ print "@unpdx.sql",$5 }'"$ph" i try this but it does not work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazanoova2
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can awk print column using a variable ??

i want to print the column file using awk or cut in dynamic manner like trmp=2;temp1=1;temp3=2 awk 'BEGIN{OFS=IFS="\t"} {print $temp,$temp1,$temp3}' client_data.txt or cut -f $temp1,$temp2,$temp3 -d"\t" file_name . but it is showing error , In awk can i use variable as in printing... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
36 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside awk '{print $c}'

i'm trying to do this (in bash darwin); echo "give me some words: " read a c=2 # this is get by other ways echo $a | awk '{print $c}' # i want to print the column given # by de $c variable if there is someone understand what i pretend... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in file using awk

hi, i have store variable in $var i want to print it in $3 of file using awk. how can i do it? file : var1,var2,var3 var5,var6,var7 var8,var9,var10 . . . i want to print $var in $3 ( for example var3 or var7 or var10) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a value in the variable using awk ?

:b:Hi All, I have a part of a script below: var1="value1" awk 'BEGIN {printf("%36s \n ","value1")}' Instead of directly giving the "value1" , I need to give using "var1" in the above awk statement. Is this possible? If so, what is the modified awk command? Thanks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print redirection to variable file name

Hello, i need to redirect the output of print to a variable file name: #This is normal awk '{ print $17 > "output.txt" }' input #I need something like this awk '{ print $17 > "output_${25}.txt" }' input how to format the output file name to contain a variable? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazeeb
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable

I have list of files: ls a.pdf b.pdf c.pdf and so on... and I have a file like this: cat file1 apple mango pear and so on... I want to rename my file like this: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print using a variable

hey, just want to ask how to do this. ex. g="hi i am john" h=`echo $g | awk '{print $2}'` echo $h OUTPUT is 'i' What if I want to use a variable instead of using '2', how do I do that? Because this one does not work: a=2 h=`echo $g | awk '{print ${$a}}'` this one also does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns and variable

Hi, Can anyone help with the below please? I have written some code which takes an input file, and and prints the contents out to a new file - it then loops round and prints the same columns, but increments the ID column by 1 each time. Input file; NAME,1,15-Dec-15, NAME,1,21-Dec-15,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)